Skip to main content

Changing membership

Last post 05:28 pm January 31, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
7 replies
02:36 pm February 24, 2017

Hello, I am preparing to PSM I exam. I'am trying with opes annsessments. There is a question which totally surprised me:

Development Team membership should change:

A) Every Sprint to promote shared learning.

B) Never, because it reduces productivity.

C) As needed, while taking into account a short term reduction in productivity.

D) As needed, with no special allowance for changes in productivity. 

Where can I read about it in Scrum Guide?

03:37 pm February 24, 2017

Hello Amia,

Thank you for your interest in Scrum.org. We're glad to learn you've been making use of our free practice assessments. We believe you may be misunderstanding the way correct answers are displayed. The answer to this question is:
C) As needed, while taking into account a short term reduction in productivity.

The feedback you are given for this Open Assessment Question is:
Teams typically go through some steps before achieving a state of increased performance. Changing membership typically reduces cohesion, affecting performance and productivity in the short term.

I hope we were able to address your inquiry. We wish you the best of luck in your continued studies.

03:59 pm February 24, 2017

I know what is correct answer. I want to know the source of it. Where can I read about it in Scrum Guide?

08:35 pm February 24, 2017

The Scrum Guide says that "Development Teams are structured and empowered by the organization to organize and manage their own work. The resulting synergy optimizes the Development Team’s overall efficiency and effectiveness".

Since a change in membership might affect the synergy referred to, it would be prudent to take into account a short term reduction in productivity.

10:54 am November 26, 2019

What does it mean by changing the membership? Is it changing the roles of developers in the team or change the number of developers in the team?

I am bit confuse on this, as I saw one question during mock practice, which says:

'New members can be added during the sprint as required' - and the answer for this is FALSE.

Thanks,

Arpit

10:55 am December 31, 2019

I feel this question from open assessment is quite ambiguous. Team membership should be out of scope as long as the team is cross functional and self organizing within. 

06:54 pm January 30, 2021

Short term reduction in productivity: Does this mean we are replacing the current developers with some new developers?

05:28 pm January 31, 2021

It means any change in team membership. This could knock them back at least one stage in the Tuckman model, even if only temporarily.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.