Skip to main content

Job search/product owner/ interview/ requirements

Last post 03:44 pm October 29, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
5 replies
12:16 pm October 17, 2023

Hello to all!

After i get the PSPO I certification i still cannot land even one interview for a product owner role. 

I don't have previous experience in the role, but learn fast and i had a lot of passion.

I am starting to feel super disappointed, and i am thinking to quit this journey.

I will be happy to hear any advice what should i do guys.

thank you in advance!

06:10 pm October 17, 2023

Deciding whether to pivot or persevere is exactly the sort of decision a Product Owner makes. So it seems you are gaining experience in being accountable for value. Think of the challenge in terms of innovation. Product Ownership often (usually) begins with side hustles and is not the innovators main job.

07:19 pm October 17, 2023

In my opinion, your first mistake is thinking that the PSPO I certification will land you an interview.  Most companies these days are looking for experience.  Certifications show you have some knowledge but they do not indicate any degree of actually being able to do the job.  I have several of the scrum.org certifications but I don't even have them listed on my resume.  They aren't something that companies in the United States look for when they are trying to find someone to fill a position. 

You don't mention if you are a recent college graduate or if you have experience in another profession.  It might help you to review your past and see how work you have done aligns with what a Product Owner would be doing.  You may not be able to go straight to a Product Owner role and settle for a "supporting" role instead. 

05:30 pm October 19, 2023

Yes Daniel i had master degree in marketing. My background is in sales& marketing.  I also had management and startup experience. I had PSPO I and CSPO certificates.

Regards,

10:24 pm October 19, 2023

So, you do have some experience as a Product Owner if you have a sales and marketing background.  You just have to find ways to get that across in your resume when you are applying.  But it still may not be easy.  I've done the job of Product Owner but never had a title to reflect it.  It always happened because I was in the right place at the time someone was needed to do that role.  I have been applying for Product Manager, Product Owner positions for months and I haven't gotten any interviews either. 

In the United States, now is not a good time to be looking for a job because there are so many people that are. 

03:44 pm October 29, 2023

The competition for Scrum jobs is quite high at the moment. Also when you will start getting interviews you will be surprised to discover that many companies who hire Scrum masters and Product owners have literally no idea about Scrum, and expect you to do totally different things, compared to what scrum theory is guiding upon.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.