Skip to main content

How could the team and other stakeholders know if a product backlog item is done?

Last post 06:16 pm December 13, 2023 by sonron dickin
7 replies
05:28 am October 19, 2023
  1. They should compare what was done, against the definition of Done established by the Scrum Team. (Incorrect)

2. Ask the Product Owner. (Correct)

Explanation: The Product Owner has the final say whether a Product Backlog Item is Done or not.

I am slightly confused, what should be the correct answer.

2 different practice test have different answers.

10:42 am October 19, 2023

Hi Nitin, Is this question from a third party practice exam? I don't recognize it as a Scrum.org style question. Be careful with third party exams as they may be outdated and/or incorrect. 

I am not aware of anything in the Scrum Guide that would support this answer/explanation. 

Some supporting sections from the Scrum Guide (Increment)...

The Definition of Done creates transparency by providing everyone a shared understanding of what work was completed as part of the Increment.

The moment a Product Backlog item meets the Definition of Done, an Increment is born.

10:57 am October 19, 2023

What practice test(s) are you using?

1 is closer to what I would consider correct, but it's not how I would phrase it based on the Scrum Guide. No comparisons are necessary. The Definition of Done describes the state of a Product Backlog Item and/or the Increment when it is Done. This clear description of the state gives transparency to all stakeholders, including the Developers. The entire Scrum Team can create the Definition of Done, or build upon any organizational standards that may exist.

02:06 pm October 19, 2023

That answer could be true in some version of the Scrum methodology but it certainly is not true based upon the Scrum framework as described in the official Scrum Guide.

Be careful of third party practice tests.  They often reflect a misinterpretation of the Scrum framework. 

10:37 am October 22, 2023

Thank you all for your explanation.

I was preparing for CSM and found this question in one of the practice test which I purchased. The group who created the practice test is adamant that PO will only decide.

12:33 pm October 22, 2023

The group who created the practice test is adamant that PO will only decide.

It can't be, because the PO isn't the one who is doing the development work and who can therefore make a commitment to achieving Done. The result will be a weak accountability for quality. For example, it seems no-one developing that test was truly accountable for ensuring it met the standard established in the Scrum Guide.

02:00 pm October 22, 2023

Make sense. Thank you Ian.

08:59 am December 13, 2023

The group who created the practice test is adamant that PO will only decide.

Since the PO isn't responsible for development, they lack the authority to commit to getting the job done. Weak accountability for quality is the end effect. For instance, it appears that nobody was really responsible for making sure the test adhered to the criteria laid out in the Scrum Guide when it was being developed.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.