Skip to main content

Suggestion Required: How to best prepare for PSMII?

Last post 06:26 am March 8, 2017 by Himanshu Verma
4 replies
06:38 am March 7, 2017

Hi Guys,

I have passed PSMI and looking forward to prepare for PSMII. Please guide me the best way to go about it. I need to know some of the things from this strong community:

1. Reading material (Books)

2. Mock Tests

3.Exam Pattern (what I know is that 90 minutes exam with objective type questions)

Any other suggestion you think can be helpful for PSMII.

Thanks,

Himanshu

09:21 am March 7, 2017

Practice Scrum and try to be in difficult situations as much as you can :-)

Also an overview of Nexus or Scaling Scrum will help

12:50 pm March 7, 2017

On top of what Sanjay suggests, I 'd recommend to learn more on Scrum product ownership and Scrum developement so that you get a more holistic overview. Just my 2c.

06:12 pm March 7, 2017

Congrats on the PSM I!

From the Certifications page on Scrum.org:

"PSM I certificate holders prove that they understand Scrum as described in the Scrum Guide and the concepts of applying Scrum."

"PSM II certificate holders prove that they have an understanding of the underlying principles of Scrum"

So what's the difference?  One requires a book knowledge of Scrum in its ideal, perfect state, and the other requires a working knowledge of Scrum in its true, imperfect state.  Not every daily scrum is going to happen in 15 minutes.  Not every Product Owner is going to have a definitive idea of their priorities. How do you, as a Scrum Master, get the Scrum Team back on track when things don't go exactly as planned?

To that, end, I have two suggestions:

• Read some Scrum Master blogs.  Find out what problems other real scrum masters face, and the tips and tricks they have found effective to solve them.  Don't look for "scrum solutions"; focus on real solutions to scrum problems.
  • Practice the hell out of the Scrum and Nexus Open exams.  If you have the PSM I, you're presumably scoring at least 85% on the Scrum Open.  Ramp it up to 100% and add the Nexus Open to your practice roster.  You can take a look at the Developer Open and Product Owner Open exams as well as they're helpful for Scrum Masters, but I didn't find them necessary within the context of the PSM II.

06:26 am March 8, 2017

Thanks Sanjay, Nikholas and Jason for your valuable inputs...

I will certainly keep on reading blogs, will start concentrating on other aspects like dev and product ownership etc. to get the holistic view of it. Although my current firm doesn't use scrum at all (neither the management is looking to implement agile as of now) but I like to practice scrum so Is there any good source which provides platform to practice scrum may be in the form of case studies or any other way.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.