Skip to main content

Completed PSM 1 with 96.3% first attempt

Last post 02:35 pm December 30, 2019 by Sirisha Batchu
9 replies
06:16 pm April 3, 2017

Hi all, thanks to those who have answered questions here in these forums, because I was able to pull up so many questions and read clear explanations and get links to sections of the guide or other examples that helped me understand concepts during my studies.

I took six days to prepare for the exam, I was familiar with Agile concepts and have used Agile Management on certain projects since 2013. I chose Scrum.org over Scrum Alliance because of the more serious assessment and my research indicated the materials here are an improvement and evolution of the CSM materials. I am pleased with my choice.

The materials I foccussed on to prepare were:

1) Read the Scrum guide six times completely, and referenced it numerous times when going through study guides or practice exams. I made sure to read the scrum guide again one more time before sitting the exam because this is the bible in terms of the assessment. 

2) I bought the kindle book Called Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide - by Mohammed Musthafa Soukath Ali and read parts 1 and 3 and did the 80 question exam at the end. I found this book to be confusing and some of the questions had the author's personal interpretation of the Scrum Guide in the content and answers. I couldn't verify all the answers in Scrum.org writings or in the Scrum Guide directly and didn't necessarily agree with his interpretations. Unless you're already feeling comfortable at a fairly deep level with other Scrum materials I wouldn't pick this book up. 

3) The online help attendant at Management Plaza was great in setting me up on their PSM Preparation Practice Exam bundle and I did each of their 80 question exams (3 different versions) at least three times until I was scoring between 92 and 97%. They also have a free Training Manual that was a very well written and laid out expansion on the Scrum Guide that I read twice and made notes from. Overall I found the content from Management Plaza to be very high and I recommend the two products I studied from, they both definitely helped me pass the assessment. They also have an online course that is more detailed but I didn't buy that.

4) I took the Open Assessments for the three Scrum Team roles multiple times. The one for Developers gets into detailed technical tools and that won't appear on the PSM assessment but there were good questions in there about the Scrum Team roles and the events so it's worth doing this for practice anyway. The Product Owner open assessment is good to take multiple times too. Make sure you're consistently getting 100% on the Scrum Master and Product Owner open assessments before you take your exam. There were a good number of these that appeared on my actual exam so it's great practice.

5) Mikhail Lapshin has a free 80 page practice exam that I recommend highly. It uses exact terms from the Scrum Guide and has very good explanations of the correct answer, again using terms from the Scrum Guide. There was almost no interpretation here, and I felt confident I wasn't getting confused or misled by practicing on this exam. Take it until you're getting over 95%. Make sure that if you want to review your answers that you do so BEFORE you hit finish. There is no option afterwards to read correct answer, you can't go back and see the questions either. 

SOME TIPS FOR WHEN YOU'RE TAKING THE EXAM

a) Don't think you can google for the right answer. You should be able to rely on your notes to confirm tricky questions, if you know the Scrum Guide very well you'll be able to get to the relevant section where a lot of the answers lie. But you need to get through the whole exam before you start trying to look things up. Save that time for tricky questions to the end. 

b) Read carefully about how many answers you should select. And select the BEST answers. Often there is an additional answer that might also be true, but is not the most critical answer out of your options. Make sure to read whether you're being asked to pick TRUE or UNTRUE statements out of the answers. You need to read the question twice before you start picking options.

c) When it comes to questions involving the Development Team, lean towards them being in full control of the Sprint Log, HOW they will work, what work they add to the Sprint log, they don't update stakeholders outside of the Sprint Review... they have their heads down creating the product during the sprint. In your answers understand that their time is shielded by the Scrum Master who makes sure that the organization understands how to interact with the Development Team (let them do their thing) and the Product Owner who keeps the Stakeholders informed. The Development Team manage themselves.

d) Print the Scrum Glossary and have it with you. Print the Values poster and have it with you. Print the Scrum Guide and have it with you. Take your own notes and organize them into "Roles", Artefacts, Events, Rules. Have them with you. Lay all your info out in a way that you know where to go to grab each resource when you need to.  

DON'T BOTHER WITH:

1) You don't need to read the recommended books in the knowledge areas link, you'd take months to prepare for the assessment if you did. For your ongoing improvement in Scrum then certainly pick up whichever ones you find interesting

2) Avoid the SBOK Scrum Body of Knowledge, it won't prepare you for PSM and mixes other Agile domains

3) Don't pay a lot of money to take any online prep courses. If money is no object to you then go ahead with an in-person course in your area, and sit the exam shortly after and you should have a good shot at passing. But there's no reason to pay over $300 for a prep course to get ready for a $150 exam. 

4) Don't sit the actual exam until you're consistently getting 100% on the open assessments and mid 90s on the other practice exams I listed above. 

04:53 pm April 4, 2017

Congrats Mark!

And thanks for the well organised tips for the exam!! 

04:27 pm April 7, 2017

Congrats Mark !

I am taking the exam today so want to know if reading Nexum framework mandatory to clear PSM 1. 

Your immediate answer would be very very helpful.

Thx

05:01 pm April 7, 2017

Pratibha,

I'm not the original poster, but since you requested a quick answer I'll chime in.  The specific details of Nexus are not mandatory knowledge for PSM I, although I personally consider it vital for some of the higher level exams.  However, Scaled Scrum is still Scrum.  Understanding how Scrum works with multiple teams can only help reinforce how you would handle situations in a single team.

For the PSM I exam specifically, I would recommend using the Scrum Guide as the primary focus for your exam prep, and then give the Nexus guide a quick read for additional context.

05:24 pm April 7, 2017

Many Thanks Jason !

I have read Nexus guide once for reference and I hope no questions are asked in PSM1 regarding Nexus.

Yes, have read Scrum Guide thoroughly for the exam.

thx

Pratibha

05:28 pm April 7, 2017

One more question, any calculation based questions related to reports like burn down, burn up in PSM 1 exam ?

05:56 pm April 7, 2017

Prathibha, although the questions are randomized between exams from a larger question pool, in my experience you should not need a calculator or scratch paper, and you shouldn't need to memorize any mathematical formulas.  The PSM I questions follow the Scrum Open and the Scrum Guide very closely.

06:20 pm April 7, 2017

Thanks Jason for the info ):)

07:39 am May 20, 2019

Passed the exam with 96.3% (77 out of 80).

Few tips -

1. Read Scrum Guide thoroughly.

2. Practice exams - Open Assessment on Scrum Master & Product owner are quite helpful. Take the exams until you hit 100% for consecutive 3-4 times.

3. Mikhail Lapshin's practice exams in LM & RM mode. Only go through these once you are through the #1 & #2 as above. You should be close to 100% in these exams. 

4. I bought volkerdon exams for $10. The explanations are good (may not be up to the mark sometimes) and refer to Scrum guide well. it is worth investing in these practice exams. if you are getting >90% in the practice test (don't answer from your memory :)), you could consider yourself ready for the exam.

5. Read the Scrum guide again. Take the exam.

01:12 pm December 30, 2019

I passed my exam with 92.5 % in first attempt.

Lot of recommendations and suggestions on this forum helped me prepare for this exam.

My tips are just same as others, give yourself a week to 10 days time to prepare, take open assessments on scrum master until you reach 100% mark.

Mikhail Lapshin's practice exams in LM & RM mode are very helpful, I bought volkerdon exams for $15. Those are are best!!!

Thanks to all members for your helpful tips.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.