Skip to main content

Product backlog management responsibility

Last post 07:22 am April 7, 2017 by Md Faiyaz Ahmad
5 replies
04:07 am April 6, 2017

Hi All,

I wanted to gain clarification regarding two statements in the scrum guide.

The guide says "The Product Owner is the sole person responsible for managing the Product Backlog" , however, it also says "The Product Owner may do the above work, or have the Development Team do it. However, the Product Owner remains accountable.".

Therefore, is it not right to say that the work of managing the product backlog does not solely belong to the product owner??

05:33 am April 6, 2017

It's important to be clear about where responsibility lies irrespective of how the execution of work occurs.

02:01 pm April 6, 2017

@Ian, If asked if the product backlog is managed solely by the product owner -True or False, then based on what the scrum guide says, wouldnt it be appropriate to say False?

05:16 pm April 6, 2017

Not necessarily, because the Product Owner can authorize the Development Team to work on the Product Backlog. This may or may not be seen as "managing" it. Hence it is important to be quite clear about the actual responsibility for Product Backlog management (i.e. in the sense of accountability), which always lies with the Product Owner.

05:38 pm April 6, 2017

Managing the product backlog is the sole responsibility of the Product Owner.  It may or may not be solely performed by the Product Owner.

For your hypothetical question, I would answer True.  Having the option to delegate work does not change the intent of the activity, or the responsibility of who maintains, monitors and manages that activity.  Yes, there is a possible scenario where someone other than the product owner can manage the backlog, but that is an allowed exception, rather than part of the core definition.

07:22 am April 7, 2017

Fantastic guys !! read through the comments I am forced to say great clarifications..

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.