Skip to main content

Changing Sprint Backlog

Last post 11:57 am April 9, 2017 by Wojciech Monka
2 replies
08:26 am April 7, 2017

Hi, I am currently studying for PSM I, and have a specific question re changing the Sprint Backlog

So, the basic premise is that a number of Product Backlog Items are selected for the Sprint Backlog, and that during the Sprint, at that level, they cannot Change (however, if the Development Team completes all items early, they can discuss with the Product Owner and address an Additional item - or at least that is my understanding)

When the Development team breaks down the PBIs into Tasks, the Tasks themselves can change, and only the Development team can do this. This may sound pedantic, but there are conflicting messages in some online material re the term "item", and in fact one sample question states that Items can change in the Sprint Backlog ! For the PSM I exam, I understand the Sprint work is specifically called 'work', not 'items'.

So my question is this - if a question comes up in the PSM I exam that mentions Items changing, I think the answer would be that this is not possible. However if it mentions Tasks or Work in the Sprint Backlog, then they can change.

Hope this is clear !

Thanks

06:02 am April 8, 2017

The Sprint Backlog is a forecast and a plan of the work needed to meet the Sprint Goal. The Goal should not change during the Sprint.

Why then would a team refuse to replan any part of the Sprint Backlog if doing so allowed the Goal to be better met?

11:57 am April 9, 2017

Hi Larry

This is quite interesting question. I comment it as I had issues with it during my studies.

First thing what you already mentioned is to distinguish items from work/plan.  

* Items - Product Owner order Product Backlog so most important/valuable items are on the top. Development Team decides how many items they can pull to the Sprint Backlog for the Sprint.

* Work/plan can be changed by Development Team at any time during the sprint. They are owner of the Sprint Backlog so they decide how they do the work. Most important is that it must meet the definition of Done.

Now some typical answers questions which you can find out. 

1) In the middle of the Sprint, Development Team recognize that they have too many items and they won't manage to complete them by the end of the Sprint. In this case they should meet with Product Owner to discus which Items are most important and which of them are less important. This is quite clear for me, there is risk that they won't finish all items and from business point of view they decide which items are most important.

2) They finished all items and they still have time left in the Sprint. In this case they pull items from Product Backlog to Sprint Backlog. I believe that Product Owner can check Product Backlog and reorder it so Development Team can pull item which can be done during the left time.

3) Development team recognize that some work from the Sprint Backlog is not needed anymore or that they won't do it. They can just remove it as they are owner of the Sprint Backlog. Most important is that it meets the definition of Done. 

During my PSM exam there was question in which in my opinion all answers where wrong. The best answer in my opinion was: to work with Product Owner asap to remove some work or Product Backlog items. So looks like sometimes you need to select the Best answer.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.