Skip to main content

Selecting PBI for the Sprint Backlog

Last post 09:56 pm April 9, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
11:33 am April 8, 2017

Lately I read the Scrum Guide over and over again. When I learn new things from another resources, I easily get confused. Here another one.

* Product Backlog belongs to PO and ordering is done PO.

* PBI estimats solely belong to DT.

Assume that PO has the order of works A, B, C, D, E. (Most important to less). Each has same estimates. However, DT wants to select D and E for the first sprint. In mountaingoatsoftware.com it says The team then determines which items they can complete during the coming sprint. The team then moves items from the product backlog to the sprint backlog. 

Scrum Guide says The "number" of items selected from the Product Backlog for the Sprint is solely up to the Development Team. Only the Development Team can assess what it can accomplish over the upcoming Sprint.

Both have same meanings? If so, does it mean that PBI items are selected by DT for the Sprint Backlog?

Does it mean that ordering the product backlog items is actually nothing? Because PO's decision is not cared. On the other hand, If PO selects the first items to do, can we say that PO forces DT to do works according to Product Backlog order.

Also I read many posts in the forum. Usually they say that items are selected by DT. Shouldn't it be "number of items" instead of items?

07:00 pm April 9, 2017

Atacan, during the Sprint Planning event, the development team works to project the functionality they feel they can and should accomplish.  But, how do they determine that?  The entire Scrum Team is at the Sprint Planning meeting.  What role do the Product Owner and Scrum Master play in the meeting if the Development Team is supposedly doing all the work?

If the Product Backlog isn't aligned very closely with the work the developers are selecting, It sounds to me like perhaps the Sprint Goal isn't clearly defined or agreed upon by the team.

I did also want to call out something as a sidebar.  You mentioned, "can we say the PO forces DT to do the work according to Product Backlog order."  Remember that neither the PO or the SM roles are managerial roles.  Demanding a self-directing team do specific work rather than supporting the team with the artifacts and events is pulling away from agile principles.

09:56 pm April 9, 2017

The PO and Development Team should agree which items from the Product Backlog will be planned into the Sprint. However, the amount of work the Development Team take on is entirely up to them. Whatever is agreed must therefore be subject to that constraint.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.