Skip to main content

Question about DoD

Last post 04:42 pm May 4, 2017 by Ankit Agrawal
3 replies
02:18 pm April 27, 2017

Hello Guys,

I am reading scrum guide in order to get prepared to have the PSM I exam.

I am having still something vague about definition of done.

When you have scaled scrum and have multiple teams what is the correct according to scrum.org?

1)Have the same DoD for all scrum teams ? As  explained in page 16 of scrum guide : If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the development teams on all of the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”

2) It is not necessary to have the same DoD for all team as long as the increments from each team produced at the end of sprint are integrated into one shippable increment ?

Could you help me with this? Please elaborate to help me understand it.

08:03 am April 28, 2017

The idea is to have a common DoD and one of the item in it should be "Integrated Increment" however there are chances that a few items from the DoD may not be applicable to one/more teams. Having multiple DoD (per team) creates complexity. More importantly DoD is per Product Increment not per Team.

The reason for keeping a common DoD is same as described in Scrum guide i.e. transparency, helps in Sprint planning and Sprint review.

If a stakeholder asks members of different teams about a feature then Team A can't say it is Done while Team B is saying it is Not Done. Everyone should have a common understanding of what is Done and what is Not Done.

01:40 pm May 3, 2017

Multiple teams working on the same product must agree a Definition of Done for that product. This will assert the criteria which must be met for an integrated product increment to be of release quality.

There's nothing to stop an individual team from asserting further criteria which make sense in the context of their own work. In practice there can be many levels of Done, but there should always be a clear understanding of what Done means for each integrated product increment. That understanding is properly referred to as the Definition of Done.

05:13 am May 4, 2017

Scrum Team DoD = Nexus DoD + Optional DoD criteria w.r.t Scrum Team's work (If that makes sense)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.