Skip to main content

Team Behaviour

Last post 06:47 pm April 25, 2024 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
11:50 am April 25, 2024

Hello,
I have a team with excellent commitment relative to the product, which is of excellent quality. However, during events, they spend time criticizing matters beyond our control, such as company salary policies and management decisions. They cannot establish dialogue with the respective manager respectfully. As a Scrum Master, I am lost, unsure of what to do. Did you alerady experience that and how did  fix that ?

Thanks

03:51 pm April 25, 2024

You could try the following:

• Work Agreements
  • Remind them what the purpose of each event is and try to keep them focused
  • Share your observations in the Sprint Retrospective (Spheres of Influence is a good one for this) 
  • Leverage the timebox

05:30 pm April 25, 2024

during events, they spend time criticizing matters beyond our control

On what grounds? You say product commitment and quality are excellent. What is there then, of substance, that lies beyond their control, and what negative consequences are they observing?

05:45 pm April 25, 2024

Hello Ian,
For example, during retrospectives, they put cards like '1:1 meetings with my manager are a waste of time.' Or they complain about not having visibility on career progression or office visits demanded by our management. In my view, I think we can't or can't have an impact on these things, and we have to know how to deal with this environment. My difficulty is making my team understand exactly that, but unfortunately, I'm not able to, and the same cards keep reappearing during the retrospective, generating frustrations.

06:27 pm April 25, 2024

A Scrum Master is "accountable for the team's effectiveness". Sometimes, this means going beyond the team and into other parts of the organization to raise and help resolve conditions that are preventing the team from being effective. A key principle of Agility is having teams of motivated individuals in an environment with the support and trust to get the job done - this doesn't appear to be the case. If people lose their motivation or feel they aren't supported, they may very well leave the organization, taking their knowledge and hurting the morale of the people around them.

Without knowing more about the context, I would suggest doing something to get their concerns heard and addressed. That may also involve educating other people in the organization about the problems and their impacts on the team if they aren't addressed.

06:47 pm April 25, 2024

My difficulty is making my team understand exactly that, but unfortunately, I'm not able to, and the same cards keep reappearing during the retrospective, generating frustrations.

If they didn't keep on surfacing those concerns, would their frustrations be resolved, or merely covered up?

A good Scrum Master has a low tolerance for organizational impediments, yet also recognizes that it isn't his or her company to change. What you have described is a call to action, even if it is just establishing links with potential sponsors who can bring about the changes that are desired.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.