Skip to main content

Length of a scrum project

Last post 06:57 pm May 16, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
02:02 pm May 14, 2017

I have found this question in a test and am unsure what is right: What can be the length of a scrum project? 

• One Year 
  • One Sprint 
  • None of above 
  • whatever is needed 
  • Two Weeks 
  • All of above

Thank you for your support on this!

02:32 pm May 15, 2017

What do you think is the correct answer and why?

03:57 pm May 15, 2017

I am really unsure! Time should not be too long to develop as the need could have gone, so I would not go for 1 year. it cannot be fix as user experiences that need to be fulfilled will be different. So always 2 weeks or 1 sprint should not be right either. 1 Sprint is fixed as well and doesn't apply either. 

Non of them?

08:10 am May 16, 2017

Have a read of the Scrum Guide http://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html

There are a few key things in there that should help you grasp the question and the answer.  For example, A Product Backlog is never complete.

04:48 pm May 16, 2017

If the question is "What can be the length of a scrum project?", then perhaps a better way to word the question would be to break it up:

• Can a project be a single sprint?
  • Can a project consist of multiple sprints?

Although I do also want to point out that having "None of the Above" placed above "All of the Above" is poor test formatting, which may confuse ESL test takers.

05:03 pm May 16, 2017

I would highly question any testing source that believes there are such things as Scrum projects.

As stated already in this thread, a Product Backlog is a living, evolving entity.   Projects inherently have a beginning and an end; therefore, projects do not apply when discussing Scrum.

06:57 pm May 16, 2017

Scrum is agnostic about the concept of a project. A Sprint might be a project to a Scrum Team.

It would be fairest to say that Scrum does not prescribe the use of "projects", or otherwise utilize them as a vehicle for delivery.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.