Skip to main content

PSM II + III prerequisites & content

Last post 05:59 pm July 11, 2017 by Sean S Jeong
4 replies
07:06 pm July 4, 2017

I have googled as hard as I can for this but I couldn't really find the answer: I know that PSM II does not require PSM I (as far as I know) -- does PSM III require PSM I or PSM II? If PSM III doers not require PSM I, I'd rather just try PSM II.

My other question goes out to those who have taken PSM II/III: which books on PSM subject area guide were most useful to you? I ask this because although I have read quite a few of them, that is a lot of material and I'd like to know what kind of level PSM II/III are geared towards.

11:03 am July 6, 2017

I suspect, you may need to demonstrate you have passed PSM I for you to take PSM II. Please check the below.

https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-certifications/professional-sc…

The Professional Scrum Master™ level II (PSM II) assessment is available to anyone who has passed the PSM I assessment and wishes to demonstrate his or her ability to apply the Scrum framework to solving advanced, complex problems in the real world...

02:53 pm July 6, 2017

Hi Abiodun,

I know PSM II doesn't require PSM I, as described in links below:

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/7814/my-experience-tackling-psm…

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/7362/psm-ii-psm-i-prerequisite

I do not have the information for PSM III, however. In fact, the page for PSM III does state for some reason that:

" Required assessment: PSM I (must pass) and PSM II "

which is odd. I wonder if I can get word from scrum.org staff.

08:55 pm July 6, 2017

Sean, just curious, but how much experience do you have working as a Scrum Master?

In my opinion, the PSM I is primarily based on textbook knowledge of the Scrum Guide.   The PSM II is based on applying that knowledge to proposed scenarios and situations.

Think of it as learning a language.   You can get the "book" knowledge down, but it is another level to be able to "think" in that language.  

I would highly advise against jumping straight to the PSM II without a solid understanding of Scrum based on real-world experience.

05:59 pm July 11, 2017

Hi Tim, thanks for your comment.

I do have a lot of agile pm experience, but only a few years as a SM.

I asked the scrum.org team about prerequsites -- and they say PSM III has no prerequisites. I decided to do PSM I regardless how I would do. I am glad to report I passed with 100% (or I hope so, and that it's not glitching!)

I am wondering whether working for PSM III or II would be better now.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.