Skip to main content

Need clarification of some questions I found in psm 1 practice assessment.

Last post 02:33 pm May 10, 2020 by Feras Abualrub
10 replies
12:37 pm November 15, 2017

Hello there - i am new in scrum family and preparing for the psm1 certification and i found the practice assessement at thescrummaster.co.uk.

There are few questions below which i do not understand , can anybody please expalin :

1Management need to monitor progress on a daily basis and decide to do so by attending the Daily Scrum. What are the likely results? Pick all that apply.

a)The Scrum Master should enforce the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum

b)Additional facilitation may be required to keep to the time box

c)The Development Team may be less open and transparent during the Daily Scrum

d)The Development Team may end up with less time in the Daily Scrum to re-plan their work

e)Management will be able to better direct the work of the Development Team

I answered this question wrong . please suggest what should be the idle options for the above

2: During the Daily Scrum, the Development Team must answer the 3 questions

True

False (correct answers)

3: During Sprint Planning, all Product Backlog Items must be decomposed to a definitive set of tasks for the Development Team to complete

True

False (correct answer)

4:: Development Teams should be set stretch goals by the Product Owner as part of Sprint Planning

False (correct answer)

True

5: During Sprint Planning, every task must be estimated so the Development Team is sure it has the capacity to complete them in the Sprint

=>False (correct answer)

True

6: The Scrum Master must facilitate the Daily Scrum

=>False(correct answer)

True

7:The Development Team must be no smaller than 3 and no larger than 9 members

=>False (correct answer)

True

I will really appreciate the feedback and thoughts on the same and any suggests for psm1 exam preparation are most welcome (as i dont have experience in scrum)

Thanks

Ruchi

05:21 pm November 15, 2017

Are you able to explain your reasoning behind the answers you thought might be correct?

10:09 pm November 15, 2017

I would concur with each correct answer.   If you read the Scrum Guide closely, all of the answers are there.

For example:

=>False(correct answer)

True

What does the Scrum Guide say about the Daily Scrum?   Does it state that the Scrum Master must facilitate it?   What does it say about the Scrum Master's role in the Daily Scrum (if any)?

04:52 am November 19, 2017

@Ian,

What in your opinion is the answer to the first question Ruchi posted - A & C? 

@Ruchi, was it A & C? 

11:11 pm November 27, 2017

Ruchi,

I was in the same boat with the qn #1. I had to try multiple times to get the right answer.

According to Simon Kneafsey (the author of the assesment),

"Only 1 of these options goes against the values and practices of Scrum. That is the one you are looking to exclude from your answer"

You pick 4/5 from the options. I don't want to reveal the answer and devalue the assessment for the same reason the author. Please see the conversation in the below link,

https://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/assessments/professional-scrum-master-…

Hope this helps.

- Dwara

06:05 am March 22, 2019

So here is the correct answer: 

Management need to monitor progress on a daily basis and decide to do so by attending the Daily Scrum. What are the likely results?

1. The Scrum Master may need to enforce the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum

2.The Development Team may be less open and transparent during the Daily Scrum

3. The Development Team may end up with less time in the Daily Scrum to re-plan their work

4. Additional facilitation may be required to keep to the time box

So these are the correct answers:

Incorrect answer is: Management will be able to better direct the work of the Development Team

03:19 pm March 22, 2019

I don't necessarily agree with the "correct" answer.  Of the ones listed, I would say only A&C are the only possible correct.  The answers missing is "The Scrum Master educates Management on the purpose of the Daily Scrum." That one answer alone covers all of the other "correct" answers and would be more accurate. 

But I could also argue that all of the listed answers are incorrect and "none of the above" is needed.  My justification for this are these passages from the Scrum Guide section on the Daily Scrum (emphasis added by me).

The structure of the meeting is set by the Development Team and can be conducted in different ways if it focuses on progress toward the Sprint Goal.

The Scrum Master ensures that the Development Team has the meeting, but the Development Team is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum. The Scrum Master teaches the Development Team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15-minute time-box.

The Daily Scrum is an internal meeting for the Development Team. If others are present, the Scrum Master ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting.

Given those statements, it is perfectly acceptable for Management to attend the Daily Scrum as long as they do not attempt to participate.  And if the Scrum Team truly respects the Scrum Values, the Development Team will have the courage and openness to hold the event true to it's purpose. 

02:28 pm October 5, 2019

" 1. The Scrum Master may need to enforce the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum "  - From the 2017 version of the Scrum Guide there is no such rule as not only DT participate in the Daily Scrum : p12, "If others are present, the Scrum Master ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting."

Then assuming this rule is followed by the SM, answers 3 and 4 can not be realized leaving only only answer option as valid. So it seems this question-answer set predates 2017 Scrum Guide update. I wish this site/blog gets review for obsolete info.

02:43 pm October 5, 2019

For question # 7 about DT size being within  [3,9],   the 2017 Scrum Guide section Development Team Size indicates thteat the optimum size is between three and nine. However it is made as a suggestion not a "must", so I wonder why <reportedly> the answer fir #7 is False. Is it because Open Assessment tests are outdated or the actual test attempts to check understanding of the difference between "should" and "must"?

09:58 pm May 9, 2020

3: During Sprint Planning, all Product Backlog Items must be decomposed to a definitive set of tasks for the Development Team to complete

The Answer is false -> notice (All) product backlog items, not all product backlog items are discussed and moved to sprint backlog

10:06 pm May 9, 2020

2: During the Daily Scrum, the Development Team must answer the 3 questions

True

False (correct answers)

Explanation:

the 3 questions are suggested and recommended by Scrum Guide, not MUST not Mandatory

5: During Sprint Planning, every task must be estimated so the Development Team is sure it has the capacity to complete them in the Sprint

=>False (correct answer)

True

Explanation: that is not the purpose of sprint planning, also the estimation is responsibility of DEV team

=>False(correct answer)

True

Explanation: its not must, the team is self-orginized

7:The Development Team must be no smaller than 3 and no larger than 9 members

=>False (correct answer)

True

Explanation: 3-9 that its the recommended size, they can be more or less , watch MUST

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.