Skip to main content

Scrum Master role

Last post 04:06 am October 20, 2019 by Joan Moreno i Maurel
7 replies
09:15 pm February 12, 2018

If the scrum master does not attend the daily scrum how will he know the status of development? When development team need help from scrum master how do they reach out to him? What are the ways scrum master removes impediments ?  

12:22 am February 14, 2018

If the scrum master does not attend the daily scrum how will he know the status of development?

The purpose of the Daily Scrum is not to share status. There are different formats that a team can choose. In the common example (even mentioned in the Scrum Guide), only two of the questions (what everyone did yesterday and what everyone plans to do today) are really about status. The important purpose of the Daily Scrum is to refine the plan to meet the Sprint Goal and raise any impediments.

The Scrum Master also doesn't need to know the status of the work. None of the Scrum Master services are related to knowing the status. If you want to make an argument for why the Scrum Master should be at the Daily Scrum, you would need to focus on two of services that the Scrum Master provides to the development team - facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed and removing impediments to the Development Team's progress. In a team that is not mature, the Scrum Master should be present to teach the team how to properly conduct an effective, timeboxed Daily Scrum. In all cases, it reduces the communication complexity to bring impediments to the Scrum Master's attention if the Scrum Master is aware of them as they are brought up.

When development team need help from scrum master how do they reach out to him?

I believe in the Scrum Master attending the Daily Scrum. This may not be possible in a situation where there is a single Scrum Master shared among multiple teams and the teams have their Daily Scrum at the same time. The Scrum Guide does state that "team members often meet immediately after the Daily Scrum for detailed discussions". If the Scrum Master knows where all the teams are holding their Daily Scrum, the Scrum Master can drop by as the team is breaking to check in on impediments.

Otherwise, frequent communication among Scrum Team members is important, but the methods will be determined by the organization. Phone calls, video conferences, instant message or chat applications, emails or talking face-to-face are always valid options, depending on the organizational culture.

What are the ways scrum master removes impediments ? 

It depends on the impediment. It will probably involve understanding the problem, determining who the stakeholders are (who is affected, who in the organization has the power to solve the problem, who may be impacted), and working with these stakeholders to resolve the problem. There's no one way to remove an impediment, and sometimes they can't be removed quickly so the Scrum Master can work with the affected parties to reduce the impact of the impediment until it can be resolved.

07:26 am February 14, 2018

If the scrum master does not attend the daily scrum how will he know the status of development? When development team need help from scrum master how do they reach out to him? What are the ways scrum master removes impediments ?

If the Scrum Master had to attend the Daily Scrum, what would that tell you about collaboration and the service provided to the team throughout the day? Should a particular means of communication be used, or might that constrain the ability of people to “reach out” to each other? How important might providing transparency over problems be to the removal of impediments, and is agile coaching also likely to play a part?

02:18 pm February 15, 2018

When development team need help from scrum master how do they reach out to him? What are the ways scrum master removes impediments ? 

The scrum master should be readily available and accessible to the team. If he is not physically there, everyone should have his cell phone number and email address so they can call, text, or email. The method of removing impediments depends on the impediment and the severity of the impediment. For example, in our company our president sometimes joins our stand up as an observer. This is not hard considering we meet in an open area. Every once in a while he will share something that is helpful or important but other times, he just likes to see what Scrum is about (it is new with the company). It hasn't really been an issue with our team, thankfully, but if it becomes a problem, I would simply start by moving the stand up location to a more secluded area first. If he kept coming and interrupting, I would sit down and explain the importance of the meeting and the intent and kindly request that he not interrupt when and if he still chooses to observe the stand up. We also have support employees that come over and interrupt our developers constantly for help on issues that our customers are having. I have implemented a rule that any and all support personnel must check in with me or our development manager prior to going to a developer's desk. For the most part, they listen. I have a few that won't and I call them out when they start walking past me and explained that they are working and cannot be interrupted for minor issues and to send an email to the development manager instead. 

09:26 pm February 20, 2018

What happens if a member of the Development Team loses the daily Scrum because he thinks it's not useful, who should take care of it?

Better not to intervene because the Development Team owns the Daily Scrum, so they should handle any problems with the assistance of the Development Team member?

Or the Scrum Master should teach the Development Team how to deal with this situation by attending the Daily Scrum?

12:20 pm October 19, 2019

Hi all! Please, can anybody recommend me some good book about the role of the Scrum Master? Or any other useful resource to get more knowledge to become a good Scrum Master?

Thank you very much!

06:53 pm October 19, 2019

Thanks Eric Naiburg!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.