Skip to main content

2005, Reporting Scrum Project Progress to Executive Management through Metrics

Last post 12:59 pm September 11, 2019 by Pradeep Bhatt
4 replies
06:39 pm July 17, 2018

I've read over numerous threads here that state metrics don't provide the richness of the value delivered to the clients and they are used for vanity purposes.  I have seen, in a couple of threads the mention of executive dashboards which lead me to search for the data backing them up and their use with senior executives.  What I found was a 2005, Reporting Scrum Project Progress to Executive Management through Metrics (http://www.danube.com/docs/Scrum_Metrics_for_Management.pdf) which details the metrics one could provide to management.

Is this still valid based on Agile / Scrum here in 2018 or has this been superseded or dropped?  Does a template of this exist today?  Is anyone using this to share high level tracking?  I'm assuming this was built in Excel.

Thanks

08:16 pm July 17, 2018

Metrics are not the enemy; rather we very often face a problem of metrics being:

- used in lieu of demonstrated value or a clear understanding of it

- used in lieu of (or mistaken for) transparency

- used to avoid directly engaging with production teams and their environment

- subject to delay during their gathering, any actionable information they may contain thereby being rendered untimely

- filtered or put through lenses which introduce unintentional bias, or otherwise strip them of valuable information

- selected for vanity purposes

Executive dashboards are notorious for exhibiting each of these dysfunctions, but that doesn’t have to be the case as they  can be avoided with care.

02:11 pm July 18, 2018

I appreciate the comments Ian however I don't see where you were able to answer my questions.

08:02 am September 11, 2019

Were you able to find answer to this?

08:02 am September 11, 2019

Jim, Were you able to find an answer to this?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.