Skip to main content

Technical Phone Screen with a Developer!

Last post 10:11 am October 22, 2018 by Eugene M
2 replies
08:55 pm October 17, 2018

Dear All,

I'll be interviewing for a Mobile App Project Manager Position soon. This is going to be my second round on technical side and those questions will be throw at me by a developer! I would really appreciate any last minute advice on what to expect about technical questions of the interview. I have zero knowledge in coding, programming languages, but I'm assuming most of the questions will be on Scrum process, story points, estimation?

What do you think?

05:41 am October 19, 2018

Hi Saif,

you are asking how to pretend that you have knowledge in coding and programming as well as in the scrum process. The only advice I could give you is: read the Scrum guide and focus on the scrum values! Courage, Focus, Committent, Respect, Openness - I would advice you to reflect on those vlaues and see how your behaviour does fit into those. Maybe the result is that you should not pretend to have deep knowledge if you do not have it.

Best regards,

Marc

10:11 am October 22, 2018

I don't interpret Saif's questions as him wanting to pretend to know what he doesn't. In fact, I see it as a good faith endeavour in order to get more knowledge on some areas that may be discussed over the phone interview.

I'll try to shed some light here, Saif. Hope it's going to be of help:

• Unless it was made clear in the Mobile App Project Manager job description that this is a (rather) technical role, I wouldn't worry too much. And, if somehow during the phone call, it turns out technical matters (coding questions for instance) are of importance, then you can be fully open/transparent, and say you have no idea and that your understanding of what's requried for the role is/was actually quite different
  • By the looks of it, the employer either has or is building an app for their product. Or they build apps for their customers. Regardless, you should've been asked what your approach would be in handling the development, following project plan, liaising with stakeholders/customers, managing resources (servers, certificates, etc), what's your SDLC understanding, etc. 
  • "Scrum process, story points, estimation" are not "technical questions". They relate to the way software is built: a transparent, adaptive way of getting from nowhere to somewhere, based on incremental value delivery and constant learnings.

Good luck

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.