Skip to main content

Changing from 2 week Sprints to 3 week

Last post 02:34 pm October 22, 2018 by Eugene M
4 replies
02:18 pm October 19, 2018

Hi Folks,

First time posting so go gentle!

I am a Scrum Master on a large Media project with devs in Germany and UK, The PO is based in Germany too.  I am new to Agile since July and still learning but fortunate to be working with a very high achieving team.  Our bi weekly Scrum Events in London require the PO and Tech Lead from Germany to come to London and have been doing this for 6 months.  Last week the PO asked if in the new year we can change to 3 week Sprints and moving scrum events to Tues/Weds from Mon/Tues, the request is probably driven out of work life balance issues.  However I will try and establish what exactly is the driver for the request next week.

We are a high performing team at the top of the curve and have great flow now after 6 months, I personally will not support the switch although I do support the switch to Tues/Weds if this helps ease the balance.

My question though is, does the PO have any jurisdiction to change when Scrum Events happen?  From my POV I own the process so therefore surely I get the casting decision on if we change when events happen.  Or, do you offer to the team to discuss in Retro to agree any potential changes?

I know this will probably lead to more questions but fire away, any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Paul

03:37 pm October 19, 2018

Rather than seeing yourself as the owner of the process, think about how you can help the Scrum Team to take ownership of what is theirs. This means coaching them to inspect and adapt their Scrum implementation.

Broadly speaking there are three things to take into account:

1. the demand exerted by the Product Owner for releasable work, and for opportunities to empirically inspect and adapt the product in the context of its business environment
  2. the ability of the Development Team to actually develop and deliver work at a given cadence
  3. the need to synchronize with other teams and/or events where irreducible dependencies exist

03:56 pm October 19, 2018

Hi Ian

Many thanks for coming back quickly as I now have something to shape discussion on Monday.  I would say points 1 and 2 are most relevant however 3 does apply.  I will most certainly encourage  the empirical approach as this has yielded best results so far.  

Thanks

Paul

05:53 am October 22, 2018

Have the team experimented with conducting the events remotely?

That certainly does have some drawbacks, but if travel is a burden, perhaps another solution would be to come over every 4 weeks, and conduct events remotely, 50% of the time.

There is value in conducting experiments that are easy to reverse. I would imagine it's easier and cheaper to conduct remote events once or twice, than booking several flights in advance on a 3 week cadence, only to find that the 3 week Sprint length does not work well.

02:34 pm October 22, 2018

I would like to support the points above.

One critical question that comes to mind: is this "large Media project" operating as a single-release type sort of work or -quite the opposite- are there regular releases (albeit to a small number of internal users maybe) at the end of the sprints - 2 releases/month? Hopefully it's the latter. 

Now, with that (regular releases) in mind, I think it becomes evident that reducing the time to "market", feedback and learning opportunities, with 50% (2 weeks > 3 weeks) is detrimental to the product itself.

So, rather than artificially increasing the sprint length, it is advisable to addres the underlying issue by agreeing on compromises and alternate paths. Sure, physical presence is always the best, but, as pointed above, virtual presence (camera & sound) could do the tricks every other 2 weeks.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.