Skip to main content

Velocity of the team

Last post 10:29 pm May 30, 2022 by Katarzyna Zych
10 replies
05:01 pm October 23, 2018

Good day,

I am interested, who is responsible to calculate the velocity of the team?

It is PO or Development team responsibilities?

Thanks for help.

06:27 pm October 23, 2018

Who do you think might use velocity data, and when might they calculate it and for what purpose?

06:37 pm October 23, 2018

Thank you for Your answer,

In my personal opinion it is PO responsibilities, because he need this data.

But I was confused with this question from "mplaza"

• Which two of the following are correct about the Development Team role?

And one of the answer for this question was "Calculates the velocity of the team"

So that is why I wrote my question about PO and Development team.

07:33 pm October 23, 2018

Velocity: an optional, but often used, indication of the average amount of Product Backlog turned into an Increment of product during a Sprint by a Scrum Team, tracked by the Development Team for use within the Scrum Team.

Now I got it, thanks for help Ian.

07:35 pm October 23, 2018

Perhaps the Development Team might use their latest velocity measurements to help them forecast how much work they should plan into a Sprint.

08:07 pm October 23, 2018

Velocity: an optional, but often used, indication of the average amount of Product Backlog

I find velocity really crucial in forecasting and billing. Without it such is very hard to do if company/stakeholders really requiring it. Velocity with combination of capacity does wonders.

Other usefulness of velocity is to see how your team improves over time and if there are problems as veloctiy is decreasing. On the end we are building self organized high performing teams.

If i am wrong please correct me.

11:22 pm October 23, 2018

Other usefulness of velocity is to see how your team improves over time and if there are problems as veloctiy is decreasing

Velocity is not a good measure of productivity, value or whether or not a Development Team is improving, in my opinion.  It simply helps a Development Team in Sprint Planning, as well as a Product Owner in forecasting a release.

I also don't believe that one metric ever tells the complete story.  What if velocity is improving by 10 percent, Sprint over Sprint?  Seems good, right?  Without other metrics that may not tell us everything.  Perhaps it turns out the team is under pressure to improve velocity, so they start cutting corners, such as leaving out unit tests.  Technical debt starts to rage out of control (which will eventually slow down the team, and create unhappy developers who have to work in sloppy code), and quality decreases as defects escape into production.  

06:23 am October 24, 2018

Chris Belknap thank you for correcting me. Then end of the day the value that team brings each sprint is only measure we can use.

10:49 am October 24, 2018

Denis - Measuring value is good.  Product Owners may come up with key performance indicators (KPIs), backed by metrics.  Scrum Teams may also measure flow (cycle time, throughput, work in progress), quality, and team health.  Development Teams may decide to dive even deeper in engineering metrics, such as cyclomatic complexity.  The important point is that the measurements are being used within the team in the spirit of continuous improvement.

03:32 pm October 24, 2018

I've chimed in on similar discussions about how I use Velocity for forecasting but I pair it with throughput (i.e. the number of stories that are actually being completed during a sprint).  I have worked with multiple teams where their velocity decreases over time because the team gets better at estimating as a group.  They all start to understand each other's "measurements" and come together to a more cohesive method of estimating.  But in every one of those cases their throughput has been relatively the same. I honestly can't explain it but I have theories based on subconscious that I'd be willing to share if anyone is interested. 

I have also seen how throughput will start to settle into a consistent value long before velocity.  Again I attribute it to the intangible "guessing" part of estimates. 

I do think velocity is a good tool for forecasting but not by itself.  I also do not advocate using velocity as a measurement of the team's value delivery or for predicting their ability to deliver in the future.  Velocity is a leading metric, you need some trailing metrics to help balance it. 

09:05 pm May 30, 2022

Hi All, does somebody know which one is NOT a responsibility of the Dev Team?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.