Skip to main content

Create a requirement specification for SCRUM dev method.

Last post 03:43 pm December 28, 2018 by Adarsh Goswami
6 replies
11:40 am December 23, 2018

Hey everyone,

For a new client, I've been asked to help a team of devs, two developpers with limited experience, to automate some operations.

This team is still using traditional dev project methods and are not aware of Agile and SCRUM methodologies.

I would like to propose SCRUM methodology and for that I have been asked to defend the case and the reasons why SCRUM would be better than a classic method.

And for that I need to to develop a "requirement specification".

I suppose this is a classic case and it has been done before. To not reinvent the wheel, is there references than could inspire me to build the "requirement specification"?

Thanks in advance,

04:12 pm December 24, 2018

Why do you suspect that Scrum might be beneficial in this situation? Is a complex product being developed for example? Are there are multiple variables and unknowns which should be brought under empirical control?

04:36 am December 26, 2018

First you scan start with analyzing the requirements. Are they fixed and not going to change in future? Are they dynamic and keep on evolving according to the need of end users? Once you know what type of requirements you are dealing with, answer will come to you.

Scrum can be implemented everywhere but you are the one (as a scrum master) who needs to decide whether it is going to be beneficial for you/your client or not.

03:34 pm December 26, 2018

AJ NOURI, you can explain the importance of making inspecting the work early. This aspect (out of several) usually hits the spot with many clients. But the first thing I would advise is to identify their concerns and pain points first. Once you have done this exercise you will automatically know the scope of your proposal. 

For example if the client is concerned about quality, time, value, complexity of the requirements you can address these using the Scrum solutions and therefore pitch to use the scrum framework. For example they are saying automation, would they like to START with a small piece and test and see before expanding and getting in? By doing so you are introducing to several concepts of Scrum like time-boxing, review (inspect the work done and adjust the pace before moving further), finish a working useale increment before moving further (Sprint) etc. 

Note: You don't need to introduce them directly. you can actually do it and show it to them and them explain more about Scrum. This soft method usually works for me.

07:50 pm December 26, 2018

... I would like to propose SCRUM methodology ...

I'm going to start with that one phrase.  SCRUM is not a methodology. It is a framework.  Methodologies are specific and prescriptive in process.  Frameworks provide guidelines, boundaries.  It might be quite possible for you to take their existing process and wrap SCRUM around it.  But it might be unnecessary. 

If you will notice everyone that has responded so far has asked why you think Scrum is right for this situation. Are they not being successful at delivering based on their current process?  Is this a complex system being built that has fluid requirements? I know this is a Scrum forum but honestly sometimes just plain old waterfall makes more sense. Don't force something just because it is a current trend.  I still have friends that write code in COBOL and FORTRAN.  

Read through the Scrum Guide again and seriously consider if it is the right fit?  You might be able to find other Agile practices that would fit better for this situation. 

11:19 am December 27, 2018

This team is still using traditional dev project methods and are not aware of Agile and SCRUM methodologies.

Is team facing any problems while using traditional methods? If so, please see if Scrum helps in solving those problems. Introducing Scrum doesn't have to be for the heck of it. It should help in your context.

11:23 am December 27, 2018

Hello Sir, As I am new and taking agile scrum training from AltegicLearn. So your discussions will help me to learn the right things. Thank you. I am looking for more knowledge.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.