Skip to main content

The PSPO II & the PAL Certification

Last post 08:21 am January 6, 2020 by Mohamed Houzaifa Cader
6 replies
03:03 pm June 28, 2019

Hi Everyone,

Before I ask the question I intend to, here's some background about myself.

My name is Vaibhav, and I have recently joined this wonderful community. 

I have been practicing scrum for over 7 years now. I have the PSPO I and the PSM I certification and for the past 4 years, I have played the active role of a Product Owner. Apart from that, I was instrumental in guiding teams to achieve greater productivity using the scrum, using localized as well as scaled Agile with SAFe.

Even though I took the PSPO workshop in 2015, I only came around giving the certification this month! (No excuses, just did not find the time and availability) I am looking at giving the PSPO II as well as the PAL - I, this year.

Over the years as a scrum practitioner, I have been involved in all kinds of complex and challenging scenarios where decisions had to be made, changes had to be incorporated, bridges had to be built between the leadership and my teams, to help them understand the dilemma that the scrum teams face - and at times, repercussions had to be suffered. 

At this stage, I would want to utilize some of my time, to the utmost capacity - for honing my agility skills. Could you folks please guide me to the best resources/books that I need focus my attention on to attempt and clear the PSPO II certification, and the  PAL - I certification? 

08:18 am June 29, 2019

For PSPO there is a wonderful suggested reading section on this website: https://www.scrum.org/resources/suggested-reading-professional-scrum-pr…

For PAL, there are nice focus areas; https://www.scrum.org/resources/suggested-reading-professional-agile-le… and a great course to follow

04:32 am August 12, 2019

Thank you Xander! I just passed my PAL-1 certification. I will now start working towards preparing for the PSPO II

03:59 pm October 11, 2019

Hi Vaibhav,

Congrats on your achievement.

I would really appreciate if you could share your learning path for the PAL-1 certification. I have the PSPO I and the PSM I certifications.

Thanks!

Rafaela

03:15 pm December 19, 2019

Hi @Rafaela, sorry for the late reply.

The PAL - 1 should be attempted once you have real world experience in practicing Agile. At least a few years. Most of the questions that came up were scenario based with multiple correct answers, but the key is to find the best answer amongst all correct answers. Thus it is key, that you've put your experience to good use. 

I studied the PAL learning path given here on scrum.org. In addition to that, a few books that helped me were "Scrum Mastery: From Good to Great Servant Leadership" by Geoff Watts, and "The learn start up" by Eric Weiss. Along with that, I gave all the open assessments and read quite a few blogs that are on the learning path.

Hope this helps!

04:39 am December 24, 2019

Hi Vaibhav,

Congrats on your achievement. I have been trying to get into a Product Owner role and planning to start on the PSPO certification track. 

I would appreciate if you can advise on how can I get into this role and whether earning these certifications will help to get into PO role or not.

Awaiting your response. 

08:21 am January 6, 2020

Hi @Vaibhav, can you please share your learning journey for PSPO I?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.