Skip to main content

PSM II - Selling the benefits - Advice sought

Last post 04:20 am August 9, 2019 by Marvin Ynte
4 replies
08:45 am August 2, 2019

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from people that have completed PSM II (or even PSM III) - I've been tasked with creating a business case to justify my training request. Specifically around what the benefits to the business would be.

Whilst the course outline goes some way towards this, I'm looking for some real world "eureka" moments or stories that really proved it paid off.

Thanks in advance

05:33 pm August 3, 2019

Why isn’t the organization demanding that Scrum Team members continually improve their skills? Is it unnecessary to the success of the business? If they have a better alternative to your suggestion, have they explained what it is?

11:05 pm August 3, 2019

I wrote an Amazon 6 pager for a private company on the benefits of the PSM I/II, which is not available to the public. Here are some topics you could think through and to help make your point:

• Professionalism - Certifications demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and build upon an individual’s credibility. 
  • How might the PSM trainings and exams help with consistency within your organization? At Scrum.org while we each have our own style and war stories, we all use the same materials and reference guides to provide a consistent message around the world.
  • Role effectiveness - Professional certifications can help employees build a solid foundation and set of capabilities within their role, along with providing the most up-to-date skills, tools and strategies that will serve to guide and direct them in the execution of building complex products and working more effectively.
  • Accountability (if budget is to be spent on training, wouldn't it be great that there is a way to validate that the person has improved through a rigorous exam?)
  • Growing the brand of the company (who wouldn't want to work for a company that supports advanced training?)
  • Sense of community

10:59 pm August 5, 2019

Chris, I would especially agree with the Commitment aspect you highlighted! Great advice! Thx!

04:20 am August 9, 2019

This video by Joshua Partogi shoulf help.

https://youtu.be/grAu8ll1jsA

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.