Skip to main content

what should be done if there are conflicts within Scrum Team

Last post 12:06 pm August 8, 2019 by Chris Belknap
6 replies
04:10 am August 7, 2019

what should be done if there are conflicts within Scrum Team. I am new to Scrum and wanted to understand what are the different types of conflicts that can arise within Scrum Team and how to resolve them. 

07:09 pm August 7, 2019

Do you have a specific scenario in mind?   The topic of "conflicts" within a Scrum Team is much too large to provide you with any relevant guidance or advice.

Keep in mind, the Scrum Team is composed of all three Scrum roles (Scrum Master, Product Owner, Development Team), so your question encompasses conflict between all three, in addition to internal conflict within the Development Team.   There are also a number of different conflict types that can apply (opinion, personality, role/responsibility, etc.).

07:57 pm August 7, 2019

I'll add to Timothy's that not all conflict is something that needs to be resolved. Some conflict is healthy in a team and will usually will not cause problems. 

It would be easier for us to give you some advice if you could provide more details.  

10:59 pm August 7, 2019

I am new to Scrum and wanted to understand what are the different types of conflicts that can arise within Scrum Team and how to resolve them. 

Is a prescriptive approach to managing conflict likely to be practical?

06:46 am August 8, 2019

Is a prescriptive approach to managing conflict likely to be practical?

I am thinking the same thing as Ian...

what are the different types of conflicts that can arise within Scrum Team

Any and all, on personal, team and organizational level

how to resolve them

By any means available and matching the problem-space

That would be my somewhat useless answer

10:51 am August 8, 2019

from all the above feedbacks, i inferred that practically one can experience and resolve by any means.

I would like to know from the teams you managed if you came across conflicts (like work, opinion, team etc)  and whats the best way to resolve. If this can be explained with an example.

12:06 pm August 8, 2019

Dattatreya - Do you view all conflict as bad? Can you think of a time when good outcomes resulted from conflict? Would a self-organizing team benefit from learning to solve conflict themselves? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.