Skip to main content

Scrum I and II

Last post 06:03 pm August 9, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
06:01 am August 9, 2019

The Professional Scrum Master level I and level II should be combined into level I for the following competencies:

• Empiricism, Scrum Values, Roles, Events, Artifacts, Done.
  • Self-Organizing Teams, Facilitation, Leadership Styles, Coaching and Mentoring.
  • Product Backlog Management, Stakeholders & Customers.
  • Managing Technical Risk.
  • Organizational Design & Culture.

It will be good to prepare for one exam rather than two exams.

Thanks

07:48 am August 9, 2019

It will be good to prepare for one exam rather than two exams.

Quite a statement...Thats is 1 "small" reason against a lot of other not to do this, AFAIK.

Personally, although I like the inspect and adapt approach on Scum certification, I think the current PSM I, II and III setup is very good and strong, and there is a huge amount of distinction between the levels, and a lot of reasons to keep it this way (at least for now).

09:40 am August 9, 2019

I would disagree with combining these two exams.

It's been a while (almost two years) since I took the PSM I, but when I did, I felt that it was more of an "introduction to Scrum" exam rather than the first Scrum Master exam. And this may be in line with the fact that the Professional Scrum Foundations course leads into the PSM I exam. If anything were to change, I'd be in favor of renaming the PSM I to something more reflective of it as a general knowledge of Scrum as it's defined in the Scrum Guide and making the PSM II the new PSM I (and the PSM III the PSM II).

I'd also like the point out that the PSM II and PSPO I exams are much closer in difficultly to each other. Passing one of these two exams seems to reflect an understanding of the Scrum role that the exam is centered around. Plus, both (along with the PSD I) are labeled as Intermediate tests and required not only factual knowledge of the Scrum Guide, but some questions were about application of Scrum, which comes with some level of experience. PSM I is also called Intermediate, but the questions I remember were almost all entirely from the Scrum Guide.

I'm not a huge fan of requiring certifications for roles, but between two otherwise equal candidates on paper, the PSM II would far outweigh the PSM I in terms of giving me an idea of the person's skills and experience. In fact, I would encourage a broader number of people, including Product Owners and Development Team members to work toward the PSM I exam as a way of understanding the basic rules of Scrum and then toward the PSM II, PSPO I, or PSD I to gain a deeper understanding of the particular role on a Scrum team.

06:03 pm August 9, 2019

Add me to the "Don't combine" votes for all of the reasons that @Xander Ladage and @Thomas Owens listed. And a counter argument for your argument is that there is no reason you can't prepare for 2 exams in the same way that you would prepare for the single one you propose.  I gained enough knowledge to take the PSM I and PSPO I at the same time. In my opinion, the way that Scrum is intertwined in the roles makes it difficult to only focus on one role at a time. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.