Skip to main content

Multiple mid Sprint releases, Sprint Review necessary?

Last post 08:03 am August 14, 2019 by Olivier Ledru
8 replies
06:15 pm August 13, 2019

I've heard that Amazon does multiple releases every day during the course of a Sprint. I am aware that we can release any time during the Sprint. I am assuming that when mid sprint releases happen, then it is also reviewed kinda like a mini Sprint Review.

So, at the end of the Sprint, do we still need a Sprint Review? What would we be reviewing at this meeting, the Increment of all that was released during the Sprint? Is it right to say that what was released mid sprint is also an Increment?

06:21 pm August 13, 2019

Steve, what does the Scrum Guide say about Sprint /review content?   Is there more to it than the increment review?

06:28 pm August 13, 2019

@Timothy Baffa, Thanks for setting me straight there! Very good point!

On a lighter note, I can't imagine I just asked that silly question but still worth it. Thanks, once again! :)

08:28 pm August 13, 2019

We frequently release mid-sprint on many of our teams.  I lost count of the people that asked that same question.  It isn't as easy to do what Timothy did to make you see the light with others.  :(

If you do get the question from others, here is one "tactic" I used to help them see.  Point out "that even though you did release mid-sprint, there is some benefit to discussing with the Scrum Team and Stakeholders how the release has been received or any new insights that has been gained". It doesn't always go over well at first but don't give up.  All it takes is one small "glitch" to make people start seeing the benefits.

09:20 pm August 13, 2019

It isn't as easy to do what Timothy did to make you see the light with others. 

Daniel, once in a blue moon, I'm able to channel a little Ian in my responses.   ;-)

10:30 pm August 13, 2019

So, at the end of the Sprint, do we still need a Sprint Review? What would we be reviewing at this meeting, the Increment of all that was released during the Sprint?

What if the team had a flow-based Sprint Goal, such as to provide stakeholders with a certain SLE?

11:32 pm August 13, 2019

@Ian Mitchell, That is another good angle to consider. Thank you for that perspective.

12:35 am August 14, 2019

Steve - It's not a silly question, it generated some great conversation. I believe Amazon has the ability to release certain product Increments every 11 seconds. In Scrum, a "Done" Increment can be released any time a Product Owner wants to release. That could be several released Increments every Sprint, or none at all. While the Increment may give transparency into the past, the Sprint Review also gives everyone transparency into the future by inspecting the Product Backlog.

08:03 am August 14, 2019

My dream, other than going around the world, is to attend a Sprint Review where I hear: "we deployed item #1 last week and item #2 yesterday, 150 users actually used them; the call center has received 42 calls and here is their feedback ...".

The regular Sprint Review I attend is stakeholders (managers/sponsors...) saying "It's look great, I'm sure the users will love it after we release it".

Don't forget the Sprint in Scrum is a planning cadence, not a release cadence. (fed up with earing "Kanban is better than Scrum because you can release when you want, not forced to wait for the end of an iteration")

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.