Skip to main content

SAFe Agile breakdown

Last post 08:26 am August 15, 2019 by Thomas Owens
2 replies
02:08 am August 15, 2019

Can someone please give a simple explanation of what the portfolio level and value stream levels mean in SAFe Agile. I understand the program and team level. But I am having a tough time wrapping my mind around the first two levels. A simple explanation and/or an example would help alot! 

02:45 am August 15, 2019

Could it be that SAFe is more complicated than is necessary?

08:26 am August 15, 2019

There's no such thing as a "value stream level" in SAFe. The four levels in the current version (4.6) of SAFe are Team, Program, Large Solution, and Portfolio.

Team is simple - it's an single cross-functional team working on a single product or service. The Program level is a team of teams working on a single product or service. A Large Solution is a group of products or services aligned on a common vision. A Portfolio is an organization's suite of products and services, some which may be part of a Large Solution, some may be supported by a Program, and others may be supported by a single Team - each Value Stream is one of these lower levels.

But I'd also echo Ian Mitchell's comment - SAFe is incredibly complicated. Perhaps overcomplicated or too complicated for organizations. But that doesn't mean that it has good ideas. I've found the different levels and contexts to be useful to think about, along with some of the constructs. But SAFe also feels like it supports traditional management techniques, especially at the higher levels.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.