Skip to main content

Planning Poker - reference story? Is it Functional Story or Development story?

Last post 02:59 pm August 26, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
10 replies
06:45 pm August 24, 2019

While playing Planning Poker, team takes 1 reference story from the backlog which is already done.

Should it be Functional story or the Development story?

07:25 pm August 24, 2019

Should it be Functional story or the Development story?

What is a Functional Story? What is a Development Story?

07:57 pm August 24, 2019

Whatever it is, why is it in a backlog if it is already done?

05:02 am August 25, 2019

@Ian, sorry for the confusion. Done stories are not in the backlog.

Here I would like to understand what is the best Story to pick up at the time of Planning Poker?

06:32 am August 25, 2019

Don’t they all have to be estimated? Why would any one be better than another for estimation purposes, including as a point of reference?

Has the attempt to distinguish between so-called “functional stories” and “development stories” introduced unnecessary complication?

07:02 am August 25, 2019

@Ian, Thank you for the response.

So what is the best REFERENCE STORY in Planning Poker? Is it a Story which is already Done or a Story from the Product Backlog?

Yes, I agree that "Functional Story" and "Development Story" created complication here, but I came across this question recently in the project.

How to deal with this?

07:42 am August 25, 2019

So what is the best REFERENCE STORY in Planning Poker? Is it a Story which is already Done or a Story from the Product Backlog?

Which do you think would provide the best evidence to the team about the amount of work involved, so as to anchor their understanding?

08:53 am August 25, 2019

It would be the Story which is already Done, as team has already worked on it and have the visibility.

Coming back to my old question, "Functional Story" and "Development Story". Have you came across these terms?

09:46 am August 25, 2019

No. My guess would be that the terms obliquely reference functional and non-functional requirements in some way.

10:07 am August 25, 2019

Thank you Ian for assisting me with my back & forth queries.

02:59 pm August 26, 2019

"Functional Story" and "Development Story". 

I heard one of my acquaintances talking about these.  After further discussion I came to understand them as :

• Functional Story = stories related to new or updated product features
  • Development Story = technical debt or new infrastructure needed in order to implement functional stories.

Regardless, they should all be treated equally when ordered in the Product Backlog and estimated by the Development Team.

As for your reference story question, I think the best reference story for the first time doing Planning Poker is the story in the Product Backlog that the Development Team feels they understand the best. That allows them a level of confidence in their first estimate.  The first Retrospective after the initial session will include discussion on how they felt they did in their estimation but do not go back and re-estimate. Those stories are now part of history and you don't change history. After the first round, the reference story should be forgotten and any Planning Poker sessions going forward should be done based on what was learned from preceding sessions.  Their estimates will evolve over time and become more cohesive as a group. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.