Skip to main content

What Scrum Master should do if client expects 4 EPIC to be delivered but Team can do only 3 ?

Last post 07:41 pm August 28, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
8 replies
05:57 am August 25, 2019

06:39 am August 25, 2019

How is the Product Owner using evidence and team feedback to manage stakeholder expectations?

11:19 am August 25, 2019

Product Owner has passed on the same data to the stakeholders, like based velocity 3 EPICS can be delivered.

But client is not so happy with this and I noticed the expectation gap here.

What should be the ideal solution to this situation?

12:57 pm August 25, 2019

Does the client trust the Product Owner’s judgment, and ability to maximize product value Sprint by Sprint?

05:45 pm August 25, 2019

@Ian

Does the client trust the Product Owner’s judgment, and ability to maximize product value Sprint by Sprint?

I don't see it 100%

09:20 pm August 25, 2019

Then that’s something the Scrum Master needs to resolve. If the Product Owner’s judgment and abilities are not trusted by stakeholders, then it is a contra-indication to the use of Scrum in any further development of the product.

07:29 pm August 26, 2019

What Scrum Master should do if client expects 4 EPIC to be delivered but Team can do only 3?

Sumit, what is the client basing their expectation on?

05:27 pm August 28, 2019

@Timothy, Client basing their expectations considering early Time To Market and I believe due to this they are expecting 4 EPICs.

07:41 pm August 28, 2019

Client basing their expectations considering early Time To Market and I believe due to this they are expecting 4 EPICs.

Sumit, if I understand correctly, the client had an expectation that the Team should deliver 4 epics within a certain time frame because, well, that's what the client needs.   Not sure at all if the client's position is valid or based in reality from what you've said.

Is it your experience that Scrum promotes the ability to deliver fixed scope by target dates not provided by anyone within the Scrum Team?

One of the key responsibilities of a Product Owner is to have an understanding of what is possible using past performance as a guide (i.e. - velocity), and to manage delivery expectations to clients/customers based not only on that understanding, but also on continuous feedback/information provided by the Development Team.   Is that not happening here?

Scrum does not proclaim that it makes all clients/customers happy, especially ones with unreasonable expectations.   It does state that it makes everything clear and transparent, so that intelligent decisions can be made.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.