Skip to main content

Bug and the corresponding story moves to next sprint

Last post 03:04 pm August 28, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
11:26 am August 28, 2019

Hi,

While testing one of the stories in QA,  the tester has found a bug however we are on the last day of the sprint. Am i suppose to move the bug and its corresponding story both to the next sprint?

or just the bug? and close the story with it in the same sprint and move the bug to next that starts from tomorrow.

12:18 pm August 28, 2019

Did your team have any opinions on how to handle it?

I've worked with team's where we the functionality built could still work with little to no issues (so a very minor bug) and we chose to consider it done and open the minor bug as tech debt so we could get the functionality to market. 

Other times we've had things that were more of a showstopper and the work would be carried over because we couldn't comfortably consider the feature production quality. 

03:00 pm August 28, 2019

Am i suppose to move the bug and its corresponding story both to the next sprint?

Why would you do anything?  Why not let the team decide what to do?  There is no rule, suggestion, discussion of any kind anywhere in the Scrum Guide about this.  There are a lot of things that people have tried such as what @Tony Divel suggested. I worked on teams that have done similar to what Tony's teams did.  But it was never my decision. It was always the team's decision. Each and every occurrence was evaluated on the current situation to determine what actions would be taken. 

Ask your team what they want to do with this specific situation.  Next time it happens, ask them what they want to do with that one. Etc, etc, etc, ....

03:04 pm August 28, 2019

While testing one of the stories in QA,  the tester has found a bug however we are on the last day of the sprint. Am i suppose to move the bug and its corresponding story both to the next sprint?

or just the bug? and close the story with it in the same sprint and move the bug to next that starts from tomorrow.

It sounds as though there is product work that remains to be done. That's what the "bug" presumably indicates. Shouldn't this work be accounted for on the Product Backlog, so the Product Owner can account for it? It might be helpful to re-estimate the story to show the remedial work now thought to remain.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.