Skip to main content

Is the Nexus Sprint Retrospective one or more meetings?

Last post 04:24 pm August 28, 2019 by Thomas Owens
2 replies
12:43 pm August 28, 2019

I was wondering whether technically the Nexus Sprint Retrospective can be seen as one big meeting to inspect and adapt how all teams work together, or as multiple ones:

The Nexus Guide defines the following:

1) Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team meet to identify shared challenges.

2) Then, each Scrum Team holds individual Sprint Retrospectives.

3) Appropriate representatives from each team meet again to discuss any actions needed based on shared challenges to provide bottom-up intelligence

The following feels contradictory to me:

The following opts for a single meeting: Within the "Nexus Sprint Retrospective" session it sounds to me its one big meeting that consists of multiple parts because of "It consists of three parts".

The following opts for multiple meetings: Within the "Nexus Process Flow" section the term "each team meet again", and the fact that multiple teams have multiple meetings probably each in their own meeting in parallel.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

03:22 pm August 28, 2019

My advice is to think of each event less as a meeting and more as an opportunity to inspect and adapt.

In the case of a Nexus Sprint Retrospective, there is an opportunity for a Nexus of teams to inspect and adapt. To do so, each constituent Scrum Team in the Nexus would have to inspect and adapt in a co-ordinated manner.

04:24 pm August 28, 2019

I like to think of it as a conference, with multiple tracks. Things like keynotes are shared and open to all of the participants. The first portion of the Nexus Sprint Retrospective is like this, for members of the Scrum Teams within the Nexus. Then, in a conference, you'll have parallel tracks of talks and demonstrations and presentations where you can't go to all of them since they are concurrent. This is like the second portion - each Scrum Team has its own track, or Sprint Retrospective. At the end, there's another keynote where people come together.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.