Skip to main content

Releasable TRANSLATED products

Last post 04:12 pm September 6, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
01:26 pm September 6, 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm working with a product (app) that is available in many countries around the world, and thus need to be translated to 18 different dialects/languages before it can be considered releasable. The translations are handled by an external translation agency. How can we create potentially releasable products every sprint with this huge external dependency? And if we can't, how  can we plan the releases with an external process that we can neither inspect nor adapt?

Seems like a classic problem, but I didn't really find any good discussions focusing specifically on this topic. I appriciate any help I can get! 

Thanks!

02:09 pm September 6, 2019

NIls, a few thoughts.

1.  Can it be rolled out gradually over time for languages or are all languages released at once?

2.  You can still be potentially releasable with your original language just not released. You can use that version to get feedback, share with stakeholders and some others to ensure that you are doing the right thing, maybe even before you are translating.

03:27 pm September 6, 2019

Is the external agency operating in the Scrum framework?  If so, then work with them on an incremental plan for delivery.  For example, one sprint could be having the login page translated to 4 languages. Next sprint translate the landing page to the same 4 languages. Each increment is potentially releasable but isn't something you would want to release. 

If they aren't using Scrum, then you may not be able to sprint on the translated products.  Why not sprint on the base language you provide incrementally delivering functionality.  Someone from your organization will have to work with the translation agency to manage that portion separately.

03:34 pm September 6, 2019

I'm curious how you manage translation.

If you have your translations stored in separate files or resources, your development team can work with one (in their native language) and ensure that the application is able to consume the other translation files. You can effectively separate the design and development effort into something that is entirely independent of the translation effort. In each increment, you would have a set of things that need to be specified - if you've changed the base translation file, you can demonstrate and have a potentially releasable increment every iteration, but not release it until the revised translation files are supplied. If you haven't changed the base translation file, you have a potentially releasable increment that can be released since you don't need any new translations.

This approach effectively separates the product development from the translation. You can continue to improve the product and develop new features and someone else can manage the translation work as a different effort.

04:12 pm September 6, 2019

I'm working with a product (app) that is available in many countries around the world, and thus need to be translated to 18 different dialects/languages before it can be considered releasable.

Really? Does each user have to understand 18 different dialects and languages?

Can nothing be tested and validated about the app with users who only understand one language?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.