Last post 04:12 pm September 7, 2019 by Chris Belknap
5 replies
09:31 am September 7, 2019

Scenario - 

Currently we are using Google doc with below pointers

1] What went well?

2] What went not so well?

3] How can we do better?

After discussion is done and improvement areas are identified, how SM ensures / verifies / checks if those improvement items are really followed by the team during the sprint? Any ideas to validate that?

10:00 am September 7, 2019

For who are these improvements? Who expect to benefit from them?

10:57 am September 7, 2019

During the Retrospective, did the team consider whether improvement items ought to be small, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time-bound? Did they receive this or any other guidance in the matter of actionability and validation?

10:59 am September 7, 2019

The short answer is to make them visible.

The Scrum Guide says this:

The Sprint Backlog makes visible all the work that the Development Team identifies as necessary to meet the Sprint Goal. To ensure continuous improvement, it includes at least one high priority process improvement identified in the previous Retrospective meeting.

Personally, I keep a backlog of improvements from all of the Scrum Teams, classifying them as "Impediments" (referring to something that obstructed or hindered the team) or "Improvement Opportunities" (ideas that people had that may make things better). I keep track of what team(s) reported each issue and keep them in a backlog or a Kanban board that is visible, ordered, reviewed, and updated on a regular basis and I tend to work on items on these boards with the right stakeholders to progress them to resolution. Teams also use their Sprint Backlogs as suggested in the Scrum Guide to track improvements or parts of these improvements that they are responsible for.

02:25 pm September 7, 2019

Outcome or the most important improvement decided by the team goes into sprint backlog. 

04:12 pm September 7, 2019

One tip I do as a Scrum Master facilitating the Sprint Retrospective: early in this meeting I bring up the list of the action or improvement items the Development Team decided to work on this current Sprint. I have them vote as a team on a scale of 1 to 10 as to how they feel they did for each one. This leads to a discussion, especially if someone votes 3 and someone else votes 10, as an example. This helps with transparency, and if improvements are not getting taken care of, then the team has some data to inspect and adapt.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.