Skip to main content

Organization level Definition of Done for all agile development teams

Last post 11:24 am March 23, 2023 by Ryan Kent
6 replies
11:03 am October 2, 2019

As far as I am aware there might be several Definitions of Done lists - user story level, release level, feature level (talking about scaled approach here) and epic level (talking about scaled approach here).

Scrum guide mentions the following:

If the definition of "Done" for an increment is part of the conventions, standards or guidelines of the development organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum.

If "Done" for an increment is not a convention of the development organization, the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of "Done" appropriate for the product.

Question - is it a good practice to define minimal DoD lists on organizational level for all agile development teams (even if those are working on different products each) which each team could use as a baseline to ensure overall quality of organization products is on same level and expand based on their possibilities/skills etc?

08:06 pm October 2, 2019

As far as I am aware there might be several Definitions of Done lists - user story level, release level, feature level (talking about scaled approach here) and epic level (talking about scaled approach here).

Andris Aišpurs, the Increment that is produced by the end of the Sprint has to meet the Definition of Done (DoD) to be considered of potentially releasable quality.

In my opinion and understanding, if we strictly adhere to this, then there may not be a need for a DoD at different levels like Release, Feature etc. 

Question - is it a good practice to define minimal DoD lists on organizational level for all agile development teams (even if those are working on different products each) which each team could use as a baseline to ensure overall quality of organization products is on same level and expand based on their possibilities/skills etc?

Will the same minimal DoD at an organizational level be applicable to different products? Will it help create release quality increments for each of the Increments for the different products?

09:12 pm October 2, 2019

is it a good practice to define minimal DoD lists on organizational level for all agile development teams 

Would such "minimal" DoD's support an increment of release quality at the end of each sprint?

03:09 am October 3, 2019

is it a good practice to define minimal DoD lists on organizational level for all agile development teams (even if those are working on different products

If there is no organizational Definition of Done each self-organizing team would set its own, much as if it were a garage start-up. Where is the organization then? Are there no risks — to business or reputation — to which it might be exposed? Does it have no stake in product quality?

11:33 am October 3, 2019

Thanks for all your comments so far!

Steve Vb In my opinion and understanding, if we strictly adhere to this, then there may not be a need for a DoD at different levels like Release, Feature etc. 

I agree with this in general, but I was referring to different processes needed in background to be completed with different levels, like E2E needs to be passed to consider Epic as potentially shippable (e2e un each user story level from this epic doesn't mean that whole epic e2e will pass).

@Timothy Baffa Would such "minimal" DoD's support an increment of release quality at the end of each sprint?

Yes, definitely. 

Ian Mitchell If there is no organizational Definition of Done each self-organizing team would set its own, much as if it were a garage start-up. Where is the organization then? Are there no risks — to business or reputation — to which it might be exposed? Does it have no stake in product quality?

I'm on a same page with you here. Yes there are risks to organization business and reputation. I have created this topic here because I have heard from some other coaches and trainers that Organization would need to create Org. level DoD ONLY for teams which are working on a SAME product (to use it as baseline and mutually agree on details). In my case we are planning to create an org. level definition of done (guidelines) for agile teams which are working on different products.

06:09 am March 23, 2023

Please refer to this page below where 2020 Scrum Guide removals (compared to previous version) are listed. One of the item is "Organization's DoD".  But then 2020 guide still has the sentence, "If the Definition of Done for an increment is part of the standards of the organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum.".

Please clarify. Same question is asked in comments section on this page too.

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/scrum-guide-2020-update-what-has-b…

11:24 am March 23, 2023

I think what was removed was the previous wording around “development organization” and references to the “Development Team of the Scrum Team”. To reinforce that DoD commitment is at the Scrum Team level and that everyone is accountable for defining it and adhering to it.

There are a few other changes such as "standards" replacing "convention" and more emphasis on all Scrum Teams following existing organizational standards as a minimum where they exist.

2017: If "Done" for an increment is not a convention of the development organization, the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of “Done” appropriate for the product."

2020: "If the Definition of Done for an increment is part of the standards of the organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum. If it is not an organizational standard, the Scrum Team must create a Definition of Done appropriate for the product."

Stephanie Ockerman wrote a great article on this.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.