Skip to main content

what's the exact difference between the Sprint Goal and the increment?

Last post 05:53 pm May 2, 2022 by Venkata Abbiah E
6 replies
10:44 pm October 3, 2019

04:56 pm October 4, 2019

Have you read the Scrum Guide? There are sections on each of these.

The Sprint Goal provides guidance to the Development Team on why it is building the Increment. The Increment is a mutable artifact which can be inspected and adapted, the Sprint Goal is not.

01:32 pm October 5, 2019

@Ian Thanks for your answer,

I got confused because sometimes it seems that the sprint goal will be the "increment" at the end of the sprint. Do you have any example of a craft spring goal and an increment ?. So that I can see the difference?

and yes, I did read the scrum guide but as you know it's difficult to master ;)

Thank again,

03:47 am October 6, 2019

A Sprint Goal might be to create a shopping cart. The increment might have functionality to add, remove, and list items, to see the total cost of items, and the ability to proceed to check-out.

01:40 pm October 10, 2019

@Ian Thank you for your response, it has been a great help to me to understand the difference

03:36 pm October 10, 2019

I would venture to say that the Sprint Goal is the map you use when planning a road trip (guidance) and the completion of the trip is the increment (the tangible work you completed). 

11:59 am May 1, 2022

As per my understanding, each item of a product goal/Sprint goal will be called as increment when it meets the definition of done.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.