Skip to main content

Daily Scrum

Last post 10:37 pm October 6, 2019 by Steve Matthew
3 replies
08:30 pm October 5, 2019

Facilitating events is a service the Scrum Master provides the Dev Team and the Product Owner. Also, the Scrum Master ensures that if others are present during the Daily Scrum, then they should not disrupt the meeting.

Does this mean that the Scrum Master should be facilitating the event everday? and, does it imply that the Scrum Master should be present at the Daily Scrum everyday to ensure that disruptions do not happen? The Dev Team is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum, however, by conducting the Daily Scrum would the Scrum Master not be facilitating?

I consider teaching the team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15 minute timebox, ensuring there are no disruptions during the Daily Scrum if others (non-Dev Team members) are present and by ensuring that the Daily Scrum happens are ways in which the Scrum Master facilitates this event. In what other ways does the Scrum Master facilitate the Daily Scrum if I've missed anything?

My understanding up until now is that the Scrum Master is not needed at the Daily Scrum, however after reading these lines I am a little confused and would like some clarification with supporting evidence.

11:01 am October 6, 2019

Unless the team is requesting it, I don't believe that the Scrum Master needs to be at the Daily Scrum every day, but there are reasons to consider it. In my view, the Scrum Master attends frequently when playing a more active role in teaching the Development Team how to effectively execute the Daily Scrum and then lets the Development Team take more and more ownership. What it means to facilitate, including how often the Scrum Master attends, varies from team to team and needs to be part of the working agreement between the team and the Scrum Master.

This sounds like a non-answer to your questions, but it's going to be very specific to the situation at hand. There's no one-size-fits-all for how a Scrum Master facilitates any events.

09:45 pm October 6, 2019

Facilitating events is a service the Scrum Master provides the Dev Team and the Product Owner.

You left out one key piece of this: as requested or needed. 

In what other ways does the Scrum Master facilitate the Daily Scrum if I've missed anything?

In addition to what you mentioned, the most important part of facilitation is ensuring everyone understand the purpose of the Daily so that the Development Team learns to collaborate together and put laser focus on the Sprint Goal.

The Scrum Master also coaches the Development Team to self organize. Therefore, might the Daily be handed over to the Development Team to facilitate? Isn't this a good place to take the training wheels off, under the watchful eye of the Scrum Master?

10:37 pm October 6, 2019

The Scrum Master also coaches the Development Team to self organize. Therefore, might the Daily be handed over to the Development Team to facilitate? Isn't this a good place to take the training wheels off, under the watchful eye of the Scrum Master?

@Chris Belknap, Thanks Chris, I see the gap that I was trying to uncover. The key is coaching the team to self-organize and also to ensure that everyone understands the purpose of the Daily Scrum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.