Skip to main content

Scrum Master requiring PO's approval

Last post 01:13 pm October 21, 2019 by Peter Dawson
11 replies
03:55 pm October 18, 2019

How can I convince a fellow scrum master bec he keeps on insisting that user stories after sprint review should be approved by the PO.

I think he's misinterpreting this "The Product Owner explains what Product Backlog items have been "Done" and what has not been "Done";"

03:58 pm October 18, 2019

I have some concerns if the first time the Product Owner is seeing the functionality is with the stakeholders during the Sprint Review. 

Shouldn't the PO know what is "Done' and "Not Done" going into the Review? 

04:09 pm October 18, 2019

Tony actually it is the "scrum master" who's asking the PO for his approval. The PO is actually siding with me and says that he just needs to provide his feedback on the increment and probably add some new PBIs if neccessary. 

04:17 pm October 18, 2019

Ah I see, I guess I'd be curious what this Scrum Master feels is being accomplished by having another approval of "Done" work by the Product Owner especially since it sounds like your PO does not see the value in what is being asked of him. 

I could, however, see the PO approving certain Product Backlog Items for release after the Sprint Review but that doesn't seem to be what is being asked. 

05:39 pm October 18, 2019

Well if the story has already been  pulled  onto a sprint backlog for the increment, then it has  clearly "passed" the   "definition of ready" . The PO is the person who is grooming /refining the PB and ensure's that the stories are  in true "ready ready" status.   Once "done" the PO can release or not release the increment.  

Not sure, why a scrum master is wanting "Approval" of stories  after review event. 

06:56 pm October 18, 2019

Is the SM asking that all work remain open even if finished, and then closed after Sprint Review?

During the Sprint the PO can approve stories as they are "Done". Should have at least approved all the finished work before going into the Sprint Review.

The purpose of the Sprint Review is to demonstrate the completion of the Sprint Goal and that's when "The Product Owner explains what Product Backlog items have been "Done" and what has not been "Done"". It's about ensuring expectations were met. If the PO hasn't approved prior to Sprint Review, how could the PO be able to explain what is/isn't "Done"?

Based on feedback that comes from the Stakeholders, create new tickets and/or update one's that have not started yet. There shouldn't be a need for any other Approvals. 

10:13 pm October 18, 2019

How can I convince a fellow scrum master bec he keeps on insisting that user stories after sprint review should be approved by the PO.

Approved for what, exactly?

02:13 am October 19, 2019

@Tony and Ian: The user stories are just to be approved if it has "passed" the PO's "liking". The software is not on prod yet. If the question was should the PO be approving which stories should be released, i would probably have a different sentiment.

@John: I agree. The output of the Sprint Review is an updated product backlog based on the "feedback" we gained from the discussion.

@Peter: I told him that it would be better to include "PO Approval" in the DoD but he said it is not the right way.

07:33 am October 19, 2019

The user stories are just to be approved if it has "passed" the PO's "liking".

Why wait until a Sprint Review for that? Why allow wasted effort to accumulate until no time is left in the Sprint? How could a PO possibly reconcile such poor collaboration, and lack of timely inspection and adaptation, with the maximizing of value?

03:00 pm October 19, 2019

@Peter: I told him that it would be better to include "PO Approval" in the DoD but he said it is not the right way.

Interesting, I have come across something similar. Not sure if it is right or wrong but curious to know what others think of this practice. Sometimes, I feel a PO approval, tends to become a superficial practice because the PO already knows the work is done and just has to move the Backlog item to final column.

08:23 am October 21, 2019

Adding PO Approval to the DoD is not a good practice in my opinion. The DoD should only contain things that are in control of the Dev team. I don't think "PO Approval" is in control of the dev team.

01:13 pm October 21, 2019

Approved for what, exactly?

Ok I am going to Echo @Ian's comments.  What is supposed to happen once a story has been "approved"  ?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.