Skip to main content

Need clarifications on the below mentioned lines from scrum guide

Last post 07:42 pm November 5, 2019 by João Henrique Domiciano
2 replies
08:40 am November 4, 2019

Kindly help me in understanding all the below  points WITH SCENARIO BASED;

1)Scrum makes clear the relative efficacy of your product management and development practices so that you can improve. (Page 3)

2)Specific tactics for using the Scrum framework vary and are described elsewhere. (Page 3)

3) Empiricism asserts that knowledge comes from experience and making decisions based on what is known. Scrum employs an iterative, incremental approach to optimize predictability and control risk. 

4)Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances(Inspection block)

5)Development Teams are cross-functional, with all of the skills as a team necessary to create a product Increment; 

6). The team model in Scrum is designed to optimize flexibility, creativity, and productivity. (Need explaination on each factors-Ex: Flexibility...Kindly need scenario where I can justify this feature)

7)Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner :

Understanding product planning in an empirical environment; 

8)Scrum Master Service to the Organization :

Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; 

9)Scrum Events:These events are specifically designed to enable critical transparency and inspection. 

10)During Sprint:

Scope may be clarified and re-negotiated between the Product Owner and Development Team as more is learned. 

11)Sprints enable predictability by ensuring inspection and adaptation of progress toward a Sprint Goal at least every calendar month. 

12)Sprint planning:This plan is created by the collaborative work of the entire Scrum Team. 

05:10 pm November 4, 2019

I'm not sure I understand your ask but I'll do my best.

1. This is just stating that Scrum doesn't solve your problems, it exposes them.

2. As it states, specific tactics vary and you can find those in the many different resources on Scrum. In other words, don't expect the Scrum Guide to give you all of the answers because it doesn't contain all of the answers.

3. Go try something, then look back and based off what you learned, make changes. The reason Scrum utilizes time boxed sprints is so you can do this exact thing more frequently because as you continue to grow, your team learns and gets better.

4. This is basically describing the Daily Scrum. 

5. This is really self-explanatory but it basically means that you need to have all the skills necessary on a team to build a product end to end. You don't just need developers on your team, you need a front end, back end, QA, etc etc. You don't need full stack developers but within the team you need all of the skills necessary to build and release an increment.

6. Because the teams are small and they can self-organize rather than having a manager dictate what they do. 

7. The SM ensures that the PO isn't making unrealistic promises to stakeholders. 

8. The SM coaches people and does whatever possible to remove blockers to the team.

9. The events have a very specific purpose and shouldn't be hijacked.

10. In other words, the PO or Dev Team find something that needs to be brought into the sprint. The Scrum Teams as a whole can discuss and negotiate what to do. 

11. Keeping the sprint timeboxed ensures that a team doesn't go 6,7,8,9 months without reviewing the project/product.

12. The work is not directed and dictated at the team, the team works together to decide what they will work on.

07:42 pm November 5, 2019

Hi Rashmi, I'll try to do my best.

1)Scrum makes clear the relative efficacy of your product management and development practices so that you can improve. (Page 3)

Scrum is a framework that handles complexity.

How? One of the main points is to delivery the product in an incremental way.

So, thinking in reality and doing a parallel with a waterfall.

In the waterfall, you will have big planning before activities start and you will have a feedback much later. And if this feedback is bad, you can imagine how it will be bad to the project.

In Scrum, the risk is limited in 1 month and you have frequent feedbacks. So with this points, you'll be able to improve you product time to time (not at the end as in waterfall)

2)Specific tactics for using the Scrum framework vary and are described elsewhere. (Page 3)

You can imagine scrum as an open-source. The Scrum Guide present to us its events, rules, roles, etc. But, as agile, it is improving and improving with the time. If you plan to get the PSM I exam, do not limit yourself to just study the scrum guide, it will be good for you to understand each topic.

Here you can find more links that will help you to understand better https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-master-i-certification

3) Empiricism asserts that knowledge comes from experience and making decisions based on what is known. Scrum employs an iterative, incremental approach to optimize predictability and control risk. 

It is never possible to prevent the future. So what it means, Scrum is based in empiricism. You get the data from the past and try to predict what will do next. This is the closer you'll be from predicting it.

Iterative - Scrum has an iterative way to work, where there is no one saying "you will do this like this this and this". The development team is cross-functional and will do the tasks the why they prefer it.

Incremental - From time to time you'll be able to deliver an increment from your product. 

Predictability - With data from the past you'll be able to predict better the future. You have a standard from your team, so for example, I usually get the average story points my team delivered in the last 5 sprints and calculate what will be the planning from next sprint.

Control risk - In Scrum the risk is limited in 1 month, so you can manage and avoid it better than in waterfall.

4)Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances(Inspection block)

The scrum has 4 events that helps in inspection, adaptation and transparency:

- Scrum Planning: It is possible to inspect what will be necessary to do, what will be the sprint goal.

- Scrum Daily meeting: It is possible to inspect everyday how is the sprint in order to achieve its goal and if there is any kind of problem, it will be possible to adapt it really fast.

- Scrum Review: Inspection with the relevant stakeholders, where it will be possible to inspect how the product is and figure what to do next (adaptability)

- Scrum Retrospective: Inspection and adaptability. It is where the team analyze how last sprint was and point what was good, what can improve and the action points.

5)Development Teams are cross-functional, with all of the skills as a team necessary to create a product Increment; 

Your team must have all the knowledge necessary to deliver the increment at the end of the sprint.

How? 

Think in a Kanban board with: To Do     |     In Progress     |      Test        |    Done

everybody from your team needs to be able to create the work and also test the work from other people.

6). The team model in Scrum is designed to optimize flexibility, creativity, and productivity. (Need explaination on each factors-Ex: Flexibility...Kindly need scenario where I can justify this feature)

Flexibility - Your team will be flexible to do any changes necessary to the product in a fast way (maximum each 1 month)

Creativity - The development team is empowered and everybody has a voice. Also, the development team is cross-functional, it decides who to manage its own work. In short words, 9 heads think better than 1 and the creativity can increase.

Productivity - Since the scrum team is maturing it can deliver more and more. And since it stabilizes, it is possible to get better values about when some feature can be delivered.

7)Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner :

Understanding product planning in an empirical environment; 

Scrum Master need to understand the planning in order to help the development team to never forget the sprint goal.

Scrum master is who removes impediments.

8)Scrum Master Service to the Organization :

Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; 

Sometimes the organization has a lot of impediments that blocks the scrum team.

The scrum master is the person responsible to remove all kind of impediments and it will help the scrum team to improve the productivity..

9)Scrum Events:These events are specifically designed to enable critical transparency and inspection. 

Similar answer in 4.

10)During Sprint:

Scope may be clarified and re-negotiated between the Product Owner and Development Team as more is learned. 

As you don't have the power to predict the future, you plan the sprint with the data you have in the past.

For example, you team performed delivering 90, 80, 100, 110 and 85 story points in the last sprints.

What I do? (90+80+100+110+85)/5 = 93. So I plan my sprint with 93 Story Points.

But as we don't know the future, it is possible that the team finish the work before the sprint ends or the team is not capable to finish the work at the end of the sprint.

So in this case, it will be necessary to talk to the PO in order or to get more work to the sprint or to inform him it won't be possible to deliver everything and to know what feature is more important. 

11)Sprints enable predictability by ensuring inspection and adaptation of progress toward a Sprint Goal at least every calendar month. 

I believe the answer is similar to 4.

12)Sprint planning:This plan is created by the collaborative work of the entire Scrum Team. 

In this meeting is presented the work that needs to be delivered + the sprint goal.

The Product Owner presents it to the team and the development team break down the stories in order to create the sprint backlog.

At the end of this sprint the Development Team will need to explain to the PO and SM how they plan to deliver the increment at the end of the sprint.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.