Skip to main content

Do we fix problems right after the daily scrum meeting once they are discovered?

Last post 03:45 pm November 8, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
09:37 am November 6, 2019

Hello,

Do we fix problems right after the daily scrum meeting once they are discovered? Or is it better to put them in the backlog and review them, and let team members arrange to solve it in the next sprint during the Retrospective meeting? Maybe having the Retrospective the following day or same day would be ideal to solve this question.

Thank you in advance for you advice

12:35 pm November 6, 2019

Hi Kamil,

I can see two main points:

1 - Do we fix problems after the daily scrum meeting once they are discovered?

Will this problem influence in the sprint goal? 

- Yes: So, according to Scrum Guide and real-life, you'll need to fix this problem as soon as possible in order to don't have other things affected in the future.

But João, it will result in changes in my sprint backlog.

Ok, Scrum Guide says that as much as it is learned during the sprint, the development team can deal with the Product Owner about the sprint tasks as much as it is learned by the team.

- No: In my experience, depending of the level of risk this problem will present to you, you can escalate it to be solved in the next sprint.

2 - Maybe having the retrospective meeting the following day or some day would be ideal to solve this question.

The retrospective meeting is the latest meeting of the sprint. It is where the scrum team will talk about three main points:

1 - What went well during the last sprint

2 - What needs improvements

3 - Action points

You can't move this retrospective to another day, before review or after a daily (when you have problems). 

If you do that, you won't be living Scrum.

01:06 pm November 6, 2019

Do these problems put the Sprint Goal at risk if they are not addressed? Or...do the problems put the Sprint Goal at risk if they are addressed because they're unrelated?

It's not uncommon for the Development Team to have a meet after to talk in more detail about specific problems or technical challenges that haven arisen throughout the Sprint. 

01:22 pm November 6, 2019

Do we fix problems right after the daily scrum meeting once they are discovered? Or is it better to put them in the backlog and review them, and let team members arrange to solve it in the next sprint during the Retrospective meeting?

Why would problems only be discovered after the Daily Scrum meeting?

03:39 pm November 6, 2019

Completely agree with @Tony. Having said that, as @Ian rightly pointed out, the Daily Scrum should not be the only event to discover the problems. When we are implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery, we should also expect Continuous Discovery. Perhaps during the sprint retrospectives, discussing discoveries that were made during the sprint adds value to the product and the Scrum. In my experience, it also gives the Product Owner additional insights for value optimization. 

11:36 am November 7, 2019

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate your advice. I am currently learning Scrum and wanted to make sure I have the foundations of it right.

03:45 pm November 8, 2019

I am a bit confused so would like to clarify.  You mention finding a problem right after the Daily Scrum and then ask if it should be handled during the Retrospective.  Are these problems with the work on the product or is it problems with the way the team works?  Because the Retrospective is about the team's ability to work together not the problems found in the product. 

But regardless of the answer to that, if the team has uncovered a problem that they feel needs to be addressed, why wait if it will not endanger their ability to satisfy the Sprint Goal? If fixing a problem does not endanger the reason for the current sprint and you have the team wanting to fix the problem, do it.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.