Skip to main content

Dealing with wide domain gap?

Last post 02:55 am August 29, 2012 by Dominik Maximini
1 reply
08:49 am August 28, 2012

My company has an issue I've never heard anyone talk about or address directly, which I feel is inhibiting our ability to really get the most out of scrum. That is how do you handle a wide technology domain gap? We design hardware in verilog, keep a C++ simulator thereof and have a tool chain mainly written in python. The issue this causes is that the software developers (especially the python devs) can't really help the hardware developers in any meaningful way (hardware design is nothing like software design). This has caused stories to be divided into a specific hardware team (bad) or they have fallen on the hardware developer(s) in a cross-functional team - effectively creating a subteam (also bad).

What kind of strategies are useful for helping the teams work together as much as possible and finding ways of helping each other even when some of the developers don't have the skills necessary to implement a story? And perhaps more importantly, am I asking the right question?

02:55 am August 29, 2012

Hi Per,

And perhaps more importantly, am I asking the right question?

I am not sure. Scrum just showed you that you have a major issue outside of Scrum, which you might want to address. Maybe you can sit together with your Team and find out if there are other ways of creating the product you are dealing with. After all, you most likely don't want Python, C++ and so on, but you want a working product at the end of the day.

This has caused stories to be divided into a specific hardware team (bad) or they have fallen on the hardware developer(s) in a cross-functional team - effectively creating a subteam (also bad).

If you can't solve the underlying issue right away, think about the following: You will always have specialities in your Team. This won't change. However, the vision and goals should be the same for everybody. Now think about a Product Owner who makes sure everybody can grasp the vision with their hearts and heads: Would all of your teammembers then work together to achieve it? May there be a subteam or not, they would all follow the same goal. It could be possible that your "User Stories" are actually not horizontally cut right now.

In the past, I have had several Teams dealing with Hardware, Firmware and Software at the same time. They all ended up having their special skills and dividing their tasks accordingly. However, the good Teams self-organized this and always stayed on track. We just had to look out for the creeping waterfall: This happens if some people have to wait for other people to finish something ("I do the hardware this Sprint, you take care of the firmware next Sprint and the one after that we start with the Software..."). The Sprint goals, and most often the Product Backlog Items as well, were cross-functional and allowed the Teams to form around them.
By the way: After some time, the Teams always started to share skills, so non-experts could support the experts if there was a bottleneck. But again, this was something the Teams figured out themselves.

Hope that helps

Dominik

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.