Skip to main content

Is sprint review meeting formal meeting

Last post 05:08 pm May 20, 2023 by Ryan Kent
12 replies
04:25 am February 1, 2013

Hi,

I was going through Scrum Guide and on page number 7 on Scrum Events , it is written that each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something.

But when going through Sprint review event , it is written that it is an informal meeting.

I am confused can someone help me sorting this.

06:26 am February 1, 2013

The Sprint Review is formal in the sense that it is part of doing Scrum. It is an essential part of inspecting the increment and deciding what to do next.
It is informal in the sense that it is not about slick presentations and showing abstractions of what could have been done. It is about showing working product on whatever machine it runs in whatever state the software is in.

Hope this helps.
Cesario | PST

02:28 pm February 2, 2013

+1 to Cesario's answer. The wording in the Scrum Guide is slightly unfortunate.

12:17 pm February 7, 2013

Scrum meetings are best kept informal. It's the opportunities to improve that are formally encouraged.

02:22 pm February 7, 2013

Scrum meetings are best kept informal. It's the opportunities to improve that are formally encouraged.

+1 to what Ian said, and I'll add that is very important that the objectives for each Scrum event/meeting be met. The Scrum Guide describes the expected outcomes from each of the events. If you are not reaching those outcomes, then there may be a "leak" in your Scrum implementation that can have bad consequences.

For instance, at one company, they were doing everything Scrummy, except one thing. They failed to invite their stakeholders and customers to their Sprint Reviews. When those stakeholders were finally shown the product after several sprints, the stakeholders cancelled the project immediately. They had a leak, and the leak proved fatal in that case.

06:04 am February 25, 2013

That's right, Sprint reviews are more about demoing actual working software rather than a power point presentation though you need a good presenter to keep involved all attendees in the demo. Also teams should be more vocal during the sprint review as there are chances that a team may want to demo a tool which is more of technical people and other teams for future use e.g. automation.

There are chances that the actual users of your product may not be available for sprint review but you should try to get as much feedback as you can from your product managers, sales team etc..

12:15 pm December 30, 2019

I think these statements are contradicting and must be removed from scrum guide. 

12:48 am February 5, 2021

Hey guys!

In the 2020 version of Scrum Guide, there is no mention about it anymore.

The word "informal" does not appear in any place of the document.

Now the question is: could we keep considering the Sprint Review as an informal meeting?

Thx!

01:32 am February 5, 2021

Yes, because there is no prescription against conducting it as an informal meeting. Rather, each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something. There may be informal  opportunities to inspect and adapt as well.

04:46 pm February 5, 2021

Thanks a lot Ian!

I'm about to take the PSPO I Assessment and this question was large discussed in class yesterday.

Can we say that Sprint Review is a formal event since it's a required part of the Scrum Framework, but it's informal in the conduction?

06:54 pm May 19, 2023

Hi Guys,

I am currently preparing a SCRUM master contest, and this question of "formal" or not is still relevant in the Quizs even for the 2020 version of the SCRUM guide... Would there be a Frenchman in the area who could explain to me clearly how to interpret this "formal" please?

Thanks ;)

03:17 am May 20, 2023

I find in a Continuous Integration/Build pipeline and auto deployment, new increment slices are being created throughout the sprint, that are being analysed by stakeholders, PO's, QA's. I find that the actual sprint  review is then quite informal and less than 30mins, because stakeholders have already evaluated the software. The actual review is then more about  determining what is done and what still needs work and then organising the backlog items accordingly. 

I think some descriptions of the  sprint review stems from days where a full piece of work was kept offline and  was "released" to stakeholders only at the end of a sprint. 

05:08 pm May 20, 2023

Is the question about the Events being formal in execution or if they are formal events, meaning they have recognized form and structure? I think of the use of formal in the guide to mean the latter; providing form and structure.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.