Skip to main content

I have passed PSPO I!!!

Last post 09:53 am August 15, 2018 by Eugene M
17 replies
12:46 pm June 24, 2017

Hello!

I'm so extremely happy. I have passed PSPO I exam (95%)!!!

Ian Mitchell, Tony Lee, Timothy Baffa - thank you all for your replies, for the feedback I needed.

I appreciate your help so much!

My advice about PSPO I exam is following:

it is not the test - it is only confirmation of your knowledge. This was my attitude.

And read The Scrum Guide!=)

My preparation took one month! And this month was not easy at all. But now it is over.

I did it! With your help.

Thank you!!! And have a nice weekend!

07:23 pm June 25, 2017

Boris, congratulations!  I saw you completed the PSM I this week as well, so allow me to congratulate you on both at once.  Do you plan to tackle the PSPO II eventually?

I also found the PSM and PSPO to be very interrelated, with the PSM focused more on events and the PSPO focused more on artifacts.  I think they're a good pair for someone working in either role.

08:07 am June 26, 2017

Thank you so much, Jason!

I'm very grateful to you for your congratulations!

Yes, for sure. I want to pass PSPO II as well. But not now - later.:-) I'm working now as engineer in international company, but I really want to become the Product Owner. And I'll do everything I can to achieve this goal. Besides, Scrum framework is very interesting for me. It became my biggest hobby:-) 

04:40 pm July 9, 2017

Congratulations! I've also passed PSM I and I'm interested on PSPO I.

How did you prepared for it? What else have you studied except Scrum Guide? What tests have your tried?

07:23 am August 11, 2017

Hello Boris,

I have passed PSM I certification already and target to pass PSPO I. Could you provide tips and experience for it. ?

How different or difficult is PSPO I compared to PSM I

Regards

Anchal

07:54 pm August 15, 2017

Congrats!

I passed my PSPO exam this last weekend too. 

01:27 pm August 20, 2017

Congratulations!! to you all on passing your PSPO I assessment.

I passed PSPO I few days back. Though I did not prepare exclusively for PSPO I, but I was doing it for PSM II. Since I was keep failing my attempts at PSM II multiple times, I wanted to take a brief break on it and gave PSPO I assessment and I passed it first time itself. I also passed PSM II finally after 4 failed attempts couple of days later post I did with PSPO I  :)

With regards to your PSPO I readiness perspective, so long as you prepared well for your PSM I with all the Scrum fundamental concepts, you can score about 70-80%. Rest of the portion are need to be covered on the Product Owner specific topics such as, how to manage Product Backlogs and how to maximize the product value.

In case you've not prepared or earned the PSM I certificate, then I would recommend at least plan to prepare or go through the required things for the same. There are various resources available over here in this Forum and Scrum.org. There are other resources and mock tests  available on other web sites as well. The most popular ones are: 

http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-quiz/real-mode/ and https://mplaza.pm/professional-scrum-master-certification-preparation-p…

Though I've not tried the Management Plaza one for my PSM I preparation, it seems to be a good one based on so many feedback on this forum.

Good luck to all those who are trying to get PSPO I or PSM I.

Cheers and Scrum On!!!!

09:04 pm December 16, 2017

Ashok, thanks for your tips on preparing for the PSPO I assessment.  Much appreciated.

I passed it today.  It seemed a lot more difficult than the PSM I.  Too bad we can't get the exact questions we got wrong for feedback not just the subject areas.

Next up PSM II...

Glen

06:15 pm February 4, 2018

Hi ,

Can some one please guide me on preparing for PSPO I certification?

I don't have a practical experience as product owner. Can i prepare for it with in 1 or 2 weeks dedicating 1 or 2 Hrs every day, is that sufficient for preparation?

Thanks

05:41 am March 21, 2018

Hi Sowjanya - based on my experience of passing PSPO I exam, I can suggest scrum guide and agile product management with scrum. You will need 1 month time of preparation. 

07:23 am March 21, 2018

Hi, Sowjanya!  

In my mind you need to do next: 

1 - again read scrum guide and try to understand all aspects. It is really very important because there are many so called "confusing" questions on PSPO 1 exam (as on PSM 1 too). This is the most important thing. 

2 - take more attention about how to measure and get value from a product. For this, highly recommend you to read scrumcrazy. Also google different article. there are many wonderful articles about value at this site. 

3 - take practice tests. For somebody it is not useful, but for me this was the most important and useful thing (except scrum guide). I've used volkerdon or you can use m.lapshin free tests. But you may find another sites if you want. 

4 - I would also reccomend you to read Roman Pichler's book about PO, but if you have just 1-2 weeks definitely this is not enough. But in general, you may pass this exam without reading this book. 

02:55 am April 13, 2018

Hello, I have passed PSPO I today. with 88% pass. I am planning to study for PSPO II next month 

any tips?

02:41 pm April 15, 2018

Hi Susmitha!

I am just beginning to prepare for PSPO 2 and I guess this article will be useful for you.  If not, sorry. 

02:43 pm April 15, 2018

And forgot to say: in my mind in second stage we have to read such books as software in 30 days and scrum pocket guide. 

05:01 am August 3, 2018

Congratulations!! to you all on passing your PSPO I assessment.

I am going to share my experience with PSPO I (cleared at first attempt 97.5%)

Challenges faced : 

• Difficult to clearly understand how to prepare for the exam
    • Material to refer in addition to scrum guide (especially for PO related stuff as in scrum guide there is really small part on PO)
    • Practice questions which are at similar difficulty level as real exam : there are some practice exams but I read that they might not be authentic and might take you in wrong direction rather than helping
  • Time constraint during exam
  • Proxy : which proxy settings to use during the exam was unclear to me : I got good response from scrum.org support for this

Preparation : 

• At first I referred http://www.scrumcrazy.com/Scrum.org+PSPO+I+Study+Tips and started following them, but this approach lacked practice on questions 
  • Scrum guide
  • Nexus guide
  • EBMgt guide
  • Open assessment : Scrum open, Product owner open, Nexus open
  • "Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide" and "The Professional Scrum Product Owner: Guide to Pass PSPO 1 Certification" books : most of the reviewers of these books had scored around 92%, 95%, 97.5%, hence I chose these books : used empiricism here based on others experience
    • My search for material to refer in addition to Scrum guide ended at these 2 books
    • Because of PSM book, I could understand scrum and its implementation very well
    • About PSPO book, I am not sure how much it helped me clear the exam, but I learnt some stuff from it
    • Because of these books, understanding scrum well, practicing questions in these books, my speed of answering questions increased
  • http://www.scrumcrazy.com/The+New+New+Product+Owner article
  • Mlapshin PSM, PSPO tests : these tests assesses how well you have read scrum guide and new new product owner article
  • I gathered all tricky questions (or difficult or different or questions which I answered wrong) from all above and worked on them
  • I found areas which were confusing for me and tried to understand them as clearly as possible, following were confusing areas for me :
    • Communication between development team and stakeholders
    • Dependency on technical component and technical tools
    • Maximizing value
  • Additionally I have some experience with Scrum (some years as developer and around 1 year as PO), this helped me understand what I read in Scrum guide or other resources (during this experience we did not follow authentic scrum)
    • Eg. Scrum guide says : "The DOD guides the Development Team in knowing how many Product Backlog items it can select during a Sprint Planning". Because of my experience I could understand how this happens in practice

During exam : 

• Before giving the exam I was not sure what would be the outcome of exam as I didn't know what would be the difficulty level of questions in the exam
  • It took lot of time to load questions. For every question I was ready to read and answer next question, waiting for it to load.
  • I was doubtful about 13 questions, I bookmarked them
  • I read that if connection is lost, bookmarking of questions will be lost, hence I wrote down bookmarked question numbers on paper as well (in fact I asked a friend of mine sit next to me to write down bookmarked question numbers on paper for me as I thought it might be time consuming if I do that myself)
  • Connection was lost during the exam for few seconds, I went again to the test and resumed it.
  • I used empiricism during the exam for time management  : I created table with question number and time remaining 
    • Questions 20 : time remaining 50 min
    • Questions 40 : time remaining 40 min
    • Questions 60 : time remaining 30 min
    • Questions 80 : time remaining 20 min

based on this I figured out how fast I am going

10:44 am August 12, 2018

I passes PSPO I exam with 90% from first trial.

I prepared 2 weeks before taking the exam.

I would say it is all about properly interpreting each question. Read it carefully before answering it!

Read scrum guide, take all prepration/open tests and goole some PO related articles and you will pass.

04:19 pm August 14, 2018

Hello

I passed PSM1 and started looking into PSPO 1.

I see someone advising not to read all the recommended books. 

I understand Scrum Guide/Nexus Guide/EBM Guide are extremely important for PSPO 1.

Which among the below books should I read to gain further knowledge to pass this assessment? 

1. The Professional Product Owner - Don McGreal/Ralph Jocham

2. Software in 30 days

3. Agile Product Management with Scrum - Creating Products that Customers Love

4. Agile Estimating and Planning - Mike Cohn

5. User Stories Applied

6. Peopleware Productive Projects and Teams, Third Edition

7. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team A Leadership - Fable

09:53 am August 15, 2018

What's your ultimate goal, double Sam? Interested in collecting certifications? Are you a SM? A PO? PSPO won't be of any real value/help to you if you're a SM or you plan on working as one. Conversely, if you're a PO, you should've started with PSPO (PSM won't mean much). Of course, these are my thoughts, others may have different views.

Next steps for you, in my opinion, should be to continue your path, advancing your experience and knowledge through direct involvement. Don't look at certifications (whether scrum.org ones or any other) as a holy grail.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.