Jeff Gothelf: Outcome-Based Product Planning — Hands-on Agile 43
TL; DR: HoA #43: Outcome-Based Product Planning w/ Jeff Gothelf
In this energizing 43rd Hands-on Agile session on outcome-based product planning, Jeff Gothelf clarified one thing: “Roadmapping is a flawed concept in the age of Agile. Maps, by their definition, are linear, and we don’t build linear products and services anymore. We build continuous systems.” Learn more about what he considers product roadmap flaws and what you can do about them.
📺 Watch the video now: Jeff Gothelf: Outcome-Based Product Planning — Hands-on Agile 43.
🇩🇪 Zur deutschsprachigen Version des Artikels: Hands-on Agile 43: Outcome-Based Product Planning mit Jeff Gothelf.
🗞 Shall I notify you about articles like this one? Awesome! You can sign up here for the ‘Food for Agile Thought’ newsletter and join 35,000-plus subscribers.
🎓 Join Stefan in one of his upcoming Professional Scrum training classes!
📈 🔬 Join 470-plus peers and contribute to the anonymous poll for the upcoming Free ‘Product Owner and Product Manager Salary Report 2022!’
Outcome-Based Product Planning
Roadmapping is a flawed concept in the age of Agile. Maps, by their definition, are linear and we don't build linear products and services any more. We build continuous systems. Nevertheless, we have to be able to create and provide some plans for our teams, leaders and customers to set expectations about the ongoing improvements and future of the services we build. How do we communicate that effectively in a continuous world? How do we ensure the voice of the customer is included in these plans?
In this talk, Jeff Gothelf discussed the concept of outcome-based product planning. Using specific examples and detailed tools, Jeff showed how taking a customer-centric look at product strategy and creating continuously improving plans ensures the teams maintain their agility, customer focus, and ultimately, the success of their product.
Watch the video of Jeff Gothelf’s talk on “Outcome-Based Product Planning” now:
Q&A Session with Jeff Gothelf
Jeff answered the following questions during the Q&A session. Please note that the questions were slightly edited for better readability:
- To gain new clients, sales/senior management commits to a prospective customer a new feature to be delivered on the existing platform by X date. How do we change the mindset and the narrative of these sales/leaders? How to transform from a classic feature-based roadmap to a goal-oriented approach? What would be the 3 or 4 first steps in a 5000 ppl organization?
- What [shall we] do when a product requires many development teams?
- Your emphasis on teams that include all of the many stakeholders implies that everyone needs to have a basic understanding of every aspect of the product and delivery. Do you agree that people do not exist in intellectual silos?
- It is one thing [trying] to support the middle managers to accept the “fog.” One challenge I see is the team composition to define the product delivery, specifically, the [development] team. From my experience, [some developers like] to be part of those decisions, but a lot of them like to code. What would you recommend bringing them into the product/outcome?
- [Do you have any] tips on getting senior leadership to buy in with becoming more outcome-based?
Meet Jeff Gothelf
Jeff helps organizations build better products and executives build the cultures that build better products. He is the co-author of the award-winning book Lean UX and the Harvard Business Review Press book Sense & Respond.
Starting off as a software designer, Jeff now works as a coach, consultant and keynote speaker helping companies bridge the gaps between business agility, digital transformation, product management and human-centred design.
📺 Join 4,000-plus Agile Peers on Youtube
Now available on the Age-of-Product Youtube channel to improve learning and help your team on its path to outcome-based product planning:
- Hands-on Agile 43: Outcome-Based Product Planning with Jeff Gothelf.
- Hands-on Agile 42: Lean Roadmapping and OKRs with Janna Bastow.
- Hands-on Agile 40: The Best Team Ever with David Burkus.
- Hands-on Agile 38: The Product Owner with Roman Pichler.
- Agile Camp Berlin 2021: The Power and Pains of Autonomy with Jimmy Janlén.
- Hands-on Agile 31: The Zones of Value Framework with Valerio Zanini & Zeina Zeitouni.
- Hands-on Agile 35: Designing Powerful Questions to help you Coach & Create with Daniel Stillman.
- Hands-on Agile 34: Core Protocols for Psychological Safety with Richard Kasperowski.
✋ Learn more about Outcome-Based Product Planning — Join the 12,000-plus Strong ‘Hands-on Agile’ Slack Community
I invite you to join the “Hands-on Agile” Slack Community and enjoy the benefits of a fast-growing, vibrant community of agile practitioners from around the world.
If you like to join all you have to do now is provide your credentials via this Google form, and I will sign you up. By the way, it’s free.
The article Jeff Gothelf: Outcome-Based Product Planning — Hands-on Agile 43 was first published on Age-of-Product.com.