Skip to main content

Which tool for project management with Scrum?

Last post 08:12 pm November 13, 2023 by Josh Bruce
14 replies
11:25 am October 21, 2023

Hi guys,

i'm evaluating the Scrum framework for a new company i'm planning to start. Also, I need to choose an online tool for project management, like Trello, ClickUp, Asana and so on.

Tried almost all demos available but no one is supporting Scrum out of the box. A template or some workarounds are always needed

The "best" workarounds seems to be ClickUp, but the interface is pretty messy , a lot of things (and with a very small font size)

Do you have some suggestions for a PM tool ? Which one do you use that is compatible with scrum ?

What I would like is something easier, able to create some board for backlogs, working, done, ... tasks, ability to create Sprints (better with an automatic schedule for the final Sprint Retrospective and the subsequent new Sprint Planning), a daily scrum automatically planned for the full sprint duration and so on.

Something automated, in other words.

Suggestions ?

09:24 pm October 23, 2023

I need to choose an online tool for project management, like Trello, ClickUp, Asana and so on.

In Scrum the most important project is the Sprint and the Developers manage it. Shouldn't they be experimenting with and evaluating the tools they use?

08:58 am October 25, 2023

I'm one of the developer (and also the company owner), that's why i'm trying to find which tools suits best in our environment, so we can choose one from a short list.

Tried 10-12 different tools, al junks when used for Junks.

The ones that looks promising are Zoho Spirnts (probably, the best one) and Jira, but Jira lacks some basic features that we need (one above all: you can't see closed sprints, only the current one, you have to go to the report page and you'll see an almost static report). In Zoho there isn't any calendar view were to see the planned meetings and so on.

10:13 am October 25, 2023

I'm one of the developers (and also the company owner), searching for some tools is useful to shorten the list of tools we have to test all together

08:49 pm October 26, 2023

To be honest I did not get the idaea of  " ..daily scrum automatically planned..", since the Daily scrum can be planed or scheduled undependetly of a tool, but why to not start with Jira / Atlassian? I tend to think that I would not exegerate by saying that it is one of the well known fullfledged tool for backlog managment, planning, simple reporting etc.  Moreover it has many plugins as an extension.

12:15 pm October 29, 2023

Let developers suggest tools. Please beleive me, you will be surprised how efficient it will be.

10:18 am October 30, 2023

I would suggest taking a good look at AzureDevOps, Jira or if your company is still small enough.. Excel and/or sharepoint. 

When using the scrum framework some tools can help you but it will stand or fall with the people implementing those tools. Thinks of how you will design you processes around the Scrum Framework and how you want the process of Empiricism (transparency, inspection, and adaptation) to influence you project management decisions. 

Also talk with your team about their needs, and let the Scrum Master determine what the best way is to facilitate the Daily Scrum. 

08:10 pm October 30, 2023

@Arsen : jira is good, very good, but has some absurd lacks like hiding closed sprints, in example. The only way to see them is thought the report. Also, with Scrum mode, you can't add single things in the calendar that has a start and a finish, everything is fixed to the sprint start and end.

Based on my tests, Zoho Sprints is by far the best one. It does 1 thing: the scrum management and it does very very well and in a very intuitive way. It's not a "scrum mode" on a bigger software. It's only scrum, from scratch. But it doesn't have a simple calendar, that's a shame.

02:40 pm October 31, 2023

Don't reinvent the wheel... just use Jira and Confluence.

10:59 am November 2, 2023

I'm not reinventing the wheel , as i'm using existing tools.

As wrote previosuly, i've tried Jira, it's very interesting, but lack some features....

06:17 pm November 2, 2023

When selecting tools, I recommend to take 2 key aspects into account:
- bringing transparency. Well, transparency is more than visibility, so let's start with visibility.
How does the tool allow to see things you need to see at a glance.
A flat list of hundreds of items in a Product Backlog for example hardly helps.
A tool that you need to click multiple times to get to an overview hardly helps.
So make sure your tool gives a quick view on what you and your stakeholders need to know.
Transparency would then be some steps further: ensuring people who need to understand the data, do understand it, and understand it in the same way. Tools do not really help here in my experience. Collaboration does.

Which brings me to my second aspect:
- the tool should allow for collaboration.
Can you refine together, can you order together, can you plan together.
At the same time that the info stays visible to all.

Using these 2 criteria, tools such as Jira are insufficient. Might be good enough to do timetracking, or grouping items in a Sprint; but that has nothing to do with Scrum.

I've found that tools such as Miro and Mural do provide me with these functionalities.
Counter-argument I've heard is that these do not allow automation.

But are we really interested in automations when it comes to the Scrum framework...?

Each and every event in Scrum is about inspecting and adapting; together; collaboratively. So that people can learn from each others' insights. Growing together.

The Scrum artefacts are about bringing transparency. A digital whiteboard supports this.

Hope this helps.

01:49 am November 3, 2023

Hi Gandalf,

How about trying Github and Zenhub.

01:06 am November 9, 2023

How large is the team? What are the reporting and compliance needs?

Is it possible you’re getting caught up in the thickness of thin things?

I know teams who just use a Miro board…for multimillion dollar pieces of software and companies.

Jira won’t deliver value to users. Neither will the Sprint history. Not being dismissive, just a yellow flag for me when we emphasize tool selection in Agile Software Development endeavors.

09:32 am November 10, 2023

We are in 4-5

Yes, probably i'm overestimating the usefulness of some missing feature from Jira, but, in example, the lack of an integrated calendar with scheduled meeting is a stopper for me.

11:07 pm November 11, 2023

4-5 doesn't seem like much coordination overhead.

Are you trying to find "one tool to rule them all"?

Have you discussed the pain points (or perceived future pain points) with the rest of the team?

Is the team experiencing any pain at the moment? Have y'all talked about it?

The concern here goes back to the idea that the system is being pre-optimized for a potential future that may never come to solve problems the team isn't experiencing yet. A pre-emptive retrospective event (Scrum), kickoff session (traditional project management), off-site (big company joy), or, for lack of a better term, a Sprint 0 could help iron out some of these working agreements - and build a stronger team in the long run because everyone has a say in how they want to play the game of delivering value to users.

Good luck!

ps. For what it's worth, you can pile all sorts of plug-ins and dependencies onto Jira to get just about any functionality you want.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.