Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Weighted Shortest Job First
Last Post 13 Feb 2014 09:34 AM by Ian Mitchell. 3 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ian Mitchell
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Ian Mitchell

--
09 Jul 2013 09:38 AM
    HI all

Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) is a technique for backlog prioritization recommended by Dean Leffingwell. The calculation involves measures for User Value, Time Value, Risk Reduction / Opportunity Enablement Value, and Job Size::

WSJF = (User Value + Time Value + RROE Value) / Job Size

User Value, Time Value, and RROE Value are meant to be numbers from 1 to 10.

I'm looking for some worked examples of this. In particular, I would like to see how values of 1 to 10 are assigned to the variables on the numerator, and how the Job Size is measured. Is a relative sizing approach taken or are the values absolute?

Thanks
    Gus Felderhoff
    Gus Felderhoff

--
    03 Oct 2013 05:57 PM
    Ian,

Check out this article. It will probably give you what you are looking for:

http://scaledagileframework.com/wsjf/
    Brad A.
    Brad A.

--
    12 Feb 2014 06:08 PM
    Ian,
    Check this article out and let me know what you think:
    http://agilebuddah.blogspot.com/201...t-job.html
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    13 Feb 2014 09:34 AM
    Hi Brad

I suspect that using WSJF to order a Product Backlog may invite vanity metrics. The question is, how are the variables to be populated in an unbiased and credible manner?

The article you linked to (thanks!) has the advantage of at least making things more democratic, in that planning poker is used to agree the values that certain attributes will hold. Yet clearly that could still result in "prioritization by persuasion". In Scrum, forecasts are applied by the Development Team to the smallest batch possible - the Sprint Backlog - in order to contain such estimation risk.

I reckon WSJF should be contrasted with more objective methods of backlog management such as innovation accounting, whereby Product Backlog order is informed by actionable metrics derived from A/B tests and the release of MVP.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback