Skip to main content

Concept Clarification Questions (Scrum Master role related)

Last post 11:37 pm August 10, 2017 by LK L
No replies yet
11:37 pm August 10, 2017

Hi all,

I am quite new to Scrum. I have followed through this Forum, but have some concept clarification questions in mind (Scrum Master role related). Would appreciate some advices from the experts & practitioners in this group.

1. Scrum Guide states that "When the values of commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect are embodied and lived by the Scrum Team, the Scrum pillars of transparency, inspection, and adaptation come to life and build trust for everyone".

I'm NOT native in English, so I wonder: should I interpret "transparency" and "trust" as Scrum values (I do not mean "Scrum Values")?

(Remark - I'm a bit confused because it seems that Scrum Guide has no terms definition of "Scrum Values" while I think the 5 named values may lead to the outcome of other values.)

Also, if SM encourages DT to voice out their concerns/views, does this show value of "courage" or "opennesss" or both? I'm still not crystal clear (maybe, because not native English) even after reading the part of Scrum Values in Pocket Guide.

2. In typical projects, the vendors often have delays in delivering their components, should SM suggest PO to move those impacted PBIs into another new backlog for future sprints?

With reference to Ian's blog, my view tends to have PBIs re-ordering accordingly but I'm not sure about the guidelines on whether a new backlog is required. Any advice?

https://sites.google.com/site/wicmitchell/home/ordering-a-product-backlog-to-minimize-development-team-dependencies

3. If someones among the DT keep arguing on technical design, apart from suggesting DT have open discussion to address this asap, should SM also organize team build event(s) or just observe/re-check later at restrospective?

With reference to Ken's blog, my view tends to let DT self-organize & then follow up at retro. Is my understanding correct?

https://kenschwaber.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/self-organization-and-our-belief-that-we-are-in-charge/

4. In case of an impediment due to the shareing of a SME (unfortunately common cases), should SM allocate the SME to 1 team per each of multiple sprints so as to enable dedicated support for each of multiple DTs? Or alternatively, just consult with all DTs on their handling?

With reference to the threads like that below, my view is yes, because the SME will be more effective (with less waste) when not multi-tasking among teams and SM should remove impediments which can't be reasonably resolved by DTs. Is this correct?

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/5304/partially-allocated-team-members

5. Daily Scrums sometimes may have DT members missing. Should SM step in (but not necessarily attend Daily Scrums)?

My view is no, because SM should ensure that DT has the meeting, but DT is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum. Am I correct?

Thanks a lot!!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.