Skip to main content

Sprint goal clarification

Last post 09:03 am September 2, 2017 by Norbert Huurnink
9 replies
10:58 am August 30, 2017

For a Sprint the team decided to deliver a Search User Story for Human Resource and another Search User Story for Finance functionality as both the User Stories are in prioirty to be considered for the Sprint.

In this case can my Sprint goal be of two functionality with no corelation such as Search for Human Resource and Search for Finance.

Thanks,

Pradeepkumar

11:22 am August 30, 2017

Are the team able to work on a coherent endeavor during that Sprint, such as providing improved search functionality for the Product? Or will they be working on two separate initiatives (one for HR and one for Finance) whereby collaboration is impaired and teamwork is weakened?

04:42 am August 31, 2017

In a case where I have a priority defined from stakeholders and there is team capacity in a Sprint to do both Search HR and Finance functionality. In that case can we do that.

Thanks,

Pradeepkumar

07:33 am September 1, 2017

It's not about whether you have the capacity (well, not just about that anyway). It's whether there's a unifying sprint goal to be found. The team should have one goal and one goal only during the sprint.

08:18 am September 1, 2017

If a Development Team feels it has the capacity to complete two Sprint Goals in one Sprint, surely there are two questions to be asked:

1. Is Sprint too long and can the Sprint be shorter?
  2. Is the Development Team too big and can the team be broken into two teams?

If there are two Sprint Goals in one Sprint, at least one of those goals is being delayed in terms of being potentially releasable.  

For example, why not have a one year sprint with 24 Sprint Goals?

06:15 pm September 1, 2017

Looking at our backlog, it's often hard to get to one sprintgoal (2w sprints).

Items are often 1-2 days work, where focussing on only one area will let us build less valuable things, even though we might be somewhat more productive in terms of estimated effort.

One way to get to one sprint goal is making it less specific, which sometimes solves this issue, but I like specific goals better.

We could reduce our sprint length, but the consistent cycle of 2 weeks feels pretty good for our team.

We could specify the most important goal as the sprint goal, knowing we will probably spend time on other things as well.

This is something that makes sense to me in theory, but is hard in practice. Any thoughts on this?

07:29 pm September 1, 2017

We could specify the most important goal as the sprint goal, knowing we will probably spend time on other things as well.

That might be best, assuming that it would yield the greatest value to the Product Owner, and Development Team members are able to commit to it.

In Scrum, team members are expected to commit to the goals of the team. Those commitments must be realistic. If non-product work is also being done, and makes a commitment to a certain product outcome unrealistic, then that outcome should not form part of any goal.

09:27 pm September 1, 2017

That might be best, assuming that it would yield the greatest value to the Product Owner, and Development Team members are able to commit to it.

Let's say that it does and let's assume we have now 2 parts (both product work) for where we could formulate a sprint goal had they been in separate sprints.

Is there harm in formulating it (as they will likely be both developed in this sprint) as: sprintgoal is A and secondary (B)? As long as its clear that A is more important than B (I think this is important for guidance/focus reasons)

11:06 pm September 1, 2017

There are no secondary Sprint Goals in Scrum precisely in order to avoid the risk of divided focus. However, a team may have other goals in addition to Sprint Goals. Scrum does not forbid them.

An example, more or less along the lines you describe, might be for a team to agree to certain so-called "stretch goals". They could commit to achieving a stretch goal only if time and resources prove to be available during the Sprint. If the associated scope is budgeted for in the Sprint Backlog then it would provide contingency, and may increase team member's confidence in being able to commit to the Sprint Goal at all. The term "stretch goal" is unfortunate because it can be seen to imply that a team is not truly committed unless it is somehow pressured, but it is commonly used.

09:03 am September 2, 2017

Clear, I was not familiar with the term stretch goal, but it makes sense in my example.

I would agree that it provides more clarity than stating multiple items in order in a sprint goal.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.