Skip to main content

Who has the final word about the DOD ?

Last post 03:57 am May 18, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
9 replies
04:58 pm August 31, 2017

Hi folks !

With my colleagues, we are not able to have a clear view of who has the final word on the DOD.

It is clear in the Scrum Guide that, at a minimum, the Scrum Team must use the convention that are pushed by the organization to the Scrum Team.

The DOD represents the commitment of intrinsic quality of the work of the Dev Team. Often, the DOD contains technical jargon difficult to understand by the PO, so it seems difficult for the PO to have the final word, and this make me feel that the Dev Team has the final word. But the DOD should also be clear enough in order to maintain transparency.

The DOD refers to the quality of the increment which belongs to the PO. So it the PO duty to choose the level of quality, and this make me feel also that the PO has the final word. I don't like the idea of a PO pushing the DOD to the Dev Team, but if the PO really wants the Dev Team (full of geeks) to write user manuel in German and Chinese and French, they have to commit to it.

Also,

What should append if the newbie PO, not very aware of technical debt, wants to cut corners to deliver faster (or doesn't want those heavy, useless, boring, automated-test...) ?

What should append if the Dev Team, not expert enough, doesn't imagine that automated testing is possible ?

As a Scrum Master, I will teach about technical debt and asking questions like "is your DOD good enough to reduce total cost of ownership ?" but then, who has the final word if the PO and Dev Team don't change their minds ?

I'm leaning toward the PO, but I would like to have your point of view.

05:53 pm August 31, 2017

I think the answer would be development team as they only create the DOD.

06:14 pm August 31, 2017

Think of the DoD as a technical specification for meeting the quality requirements of the Product and the wider organization.

Hence the Development Team must frame and meet its technical criteria, but the Product Owner and the organization can be expected to have inputs. The PO may assert product qualities which must be satisfied, while the organization may have a DoD which all teams must reference.

The PO cannot force a Development Team to apply a lower standard of "Done" for the sake of expediency. The Development Team are wholly accountable for the quality of the work they deliver and no-one can oblige them to incur any technical debt.

06:35 pm September 1, 2017

So simply put, the PO and organisation can set minimums and the dev team completes the DoD?

That would make most sense to me at least, also given aforementioned examples.

07:33 pm September 1, 2017

Yes, but those "minimums" might be expressed in a different form. For example, the PO may express them in an entirely non-technical way. The Development Team would need to craft a DoD which expresses those minimums in appropriate technical terms.

09:01 pm May 16, 2021

I am preparing for the SM1 and PO1 tests and therefore I want to restore this topic. The scrum guide states the following:

If the Definition of Done for an increment is part of the standards of the organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum. If it is not an organizational standard, the Scrum Team must create a Definition of Done appropriate for the product.

Who has the final say over the DoD? The Produt owner, development team, scrum master or the whole scrum team?

In my point of view, the whole scrum team.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

04:46 am May 17, 2021

Scrum is less about having a final say, and more about accountabilities to be met.

04:50 am May 17, 2021

I agree with the answer of "Alex Miller"

The whole scrum team will craft the DOD in a collaborative way. 

05:12 am May 17, 2021

Thanks Bhavin for your opinion.

Which accountability is it in your opinion, Ian?

03:57 am May 18, 2021

The Scrum Guide says that Developers are always accountable for quality by adhering to a Definition of Done. 

I'd suggest that reality has any "final say" over whether work proves Done and usable.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.