Skip to main content

Nexus guide clarifications needed

Last post 04:51 pm January 9, 2018 by Charles Bradley
7 replies
07:55 am September 13, 2017

Hello,

In Nexus guide, I see a sentence which goes as follows: Nexus roles, events, and artifacts inherit the purpose and intent attributes of the corresponding Scrum roles, events, and artifacts, as documented in the Scrum Guide. However, my questions are as follows:

1. In Scrum guide, refinement is not a mandatory event, its an optional one. Whereas, in Nexus, Refinement is a mandatory event

2. In Scrum guide, Sprint goal is not a artifact. Whereas, in Nexus, Nexus goal is an artifact.

Somehow, I feel, these 2 aspects are not in line with Scrum framework. Can you please clarify or elaborate more, why is it like this?

Regards

Krishna

06:06 am September 14, 2017

1. In Scrum guide, refinement is not a mandatory event, its an optional one. Whereas, in Nexus, Refinement is a mandatory event

Why do you think refinement is very very important in Nexus and hence its mandatory ? Multiple teams, more complexity and huge dependency between those multiple teams, wouldnt it help if teams know upfront on dependency and plan better ?

2. In Scrum guide, Sprint goal is not a artifact. Whereas, in Nexus, Nexus goal is an artifact.

What is more important, individual Scrum team increment or an integrated increment when multiple teams working on single product backlog ? What is the goal of Nexus ?

10:31 pm September 20, 2017

Krishnakumar,

Think of Nexus as an extension of Scrum. Nexus clearly builds upon the foundation of Scrum and expands it in the areas that you mentioned. Nexus is NOT simply a larger version of Scrum, but a more complex set of guidelines for a an environment that requires multiple Scrums teams to collaborate.

12:05 pm November 23, 2017

Thanks Ankit and Eugene for your answers. 

Ankit, convinced with your thoughts on first question. However, 2nd question is not fully addressed.

Can you or other Nexus folks, elaborate further as my question is more on consistency?

02:34 pm November 23, 2017

An artifact is something which is produced and consumed. To the extent that the Nexus Goal is produced during Nexus Sprint Planning and consumed by teams in their own planning sessions, it might be seen as an artifact.

12:15 pm November 24, 2017

I think question 1. is not answered clearly. Does anyone mind giving a better answer?

03:52 am December 19, 2017

Thanks Ian Mitchell for the clarity.

Jennifer, as multiple teams are involved in Nexus, there is lot more complexity, dependencies and integration touch points involved, they have made refinement as a mandatory event.

04:51 pm January 9, 2018

To my knowledge, Refinement has been a required practice in Scrum since 2011.  In the Scrum Guide, it is a required "activity" but does not achieve the higher level formality of an event.

The NG has gone further making it a required event, due to the difficult of cross team dependencies.

Note that the NG says it inherits "intent" and "purpose" attributes from the Scrum Guide, but does NOT say it inherits any other attributes(such as "required vs. optional", "formality level", "involved roles", "duties", etc).  So, for instance, NG refinement has the same intent and purpose of refinement in the SG, but it is more formal in the NG.  As another example, the Nexus SM has the same intent and purpose of a team SM, but has different duties.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.