Nexus guide clarifications needed

Last post 10:31 pm September 20, 2017
by Eugene Lai
2 replies
Author

Hello,

In Nexus guide, I see a sentence which goes as follows: Nexus roles, events, and artifacts inherit the purpose and intent attributes of the corresponding Scrum roles, events, and artifacts, as documented in the Scrum Guide. However, my questions are as follows:

1. In Scrum guide, refinement is not a mandatory event, its an optional one. Whereas, in Nexus, Refinement is a mandatory event

2. In Scrum guide, Sprint goal is not a artifact. Whereas, in Nexus, Nexus goal is an artifact.

Somehow, I feel, these 2 aspects are not in line with Scrum framework. Can you please clarify or elaborate more, why is it like this?

Regards

Krishna

06:06 am September 14, 2017

1. In Scrum guide, refinement is not a mandatory event, its an optional one. Whereas, in Nexus, Refinement is a mandatory event

Why do you think refinement is very very important in Nexus and hence its mandatory ? Multiple teams, more complexity and huge dependency between those multiple teams, wouldnt it help if teams know upfront on dependency and plan better ?

2. In Scrum guide, Sprint goal is not a artifact. Whereas, in Nexus, Nexus goal is an artifact.

What is more important, individual Scrum team increment or an integrated increment when multiple teams working on single product backlog ? What is the goal of Nexus ?

10:31 pm September 20, 2017

Krishnakumar,

Think of Nexus as an extension of Scrum. Nexus clearly builds upon the foundation of Scrum and expands it in the areas that you mentioned. Nexus is NOT simply a larger version of Scrum, but a more complex set of guidelines for a an environment that requires multiple Scrums teams to collaborate.