Skip to main content

Coaching Scrum Team: Scrum Values influencing how we act.

Last post 04:22 pm September 23, 2017 by Chris Belknap
4 replies
10:15 am September 22, 2017

Hi all,

I am the Scrum Master in a team, and plan to have a timeboxed coaching session with the rest of the Scrum Team.

My goal is to remind the team of the Scrum Values, and to link them to their day-to-day actions.

This more about awareness than trying to directly address particular behaviours.

I was thinking something along the lines of producing a list of scenarios that can occur in our working environment, and letting the whole team decide how this relates (positively or negatively) to the Scrum Values.

e.g.

"A Developer discovers that a particular feature in the Product Backlog (but not the Sprint Backlog) could negatively impact one stakeholder, and immediately gathers the whole Development Team to discuss it."

Perhaps the team may say this shows Respect and Openness, but also a lack of Focus.

I'd happily receive feedback on whether or not you think this is a good idea, or have an alternative suggestion that could be more effective.

Perhaps you are aware of resources where someone has already done a similar thing...

I'd be grateful of suggestions people have of scenarios that I should put before the team.

I'd like the team to think of some of their own scenarios, but to ensure structure, I would probably take some pre-defined scenarios too.

10:41 am September 22, 2017

Hi Simon - I really like this idea, and will be following this thread closely, and would encourage you to facilitate the team coming up with their own scenarios.  Here's just one use case you could use as an example for them:

The Development team is split and deadlocked on a technical approach to a solution.  Half the team wants to go one way, the other half wants to try a different solution.  As Scrum Master you've been observing the conversations, staying neutral, but observe there is a lot of passion around the debate.  Some of the developer's conversations have been heated, and it is getting personal. With regards to Scrum Values, how would they handle this?

Perhaps you could ask them if they would like to create a working agreement around resolving conflict, with Scrum values as a guide.  As an example, the team agrees to take a break for an hour if it gets heated, and come back and focus on the issue and not the person.

All the best!

12:54 pm September 22, 2017

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris.

I wonder if perhaps it could be something to build upon.

Perhaps there could be a part where the team first consider how a scenario relates to the values, then switch to looking at how things could be done differently.

07:21 am September 23, 2017

Instead of focusing on negative impact of lack of value, maybe you can challenge in the other more positive way.

=> What if you build more on your focus/respect/openess/commitment/courage value ?

04:22 pm September 23, 2017

Simon - Here's another idea.  If you have not done so, introduce the team to the Shu-Ha-Ri concept.  Have them individually write the 5 Scrum values down on post it notes, and have them indicate whether they think they are in Shu, Ha or Ri.  Then have them put their post its on a board of flip chart, near Shu Ha Ri.

Facilitate a conversation.  See what is in common, and what differs?  Be curious.  Solicit examples.  Ask them what patterns they notice, and what may be the next Value to focus on.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.