Skip to main content

How to divide product development of a product between scrum teams?

Last post 01:58 pm November 13, 2017 by Joost Okkinga
4 replies
02:06 pm November 10, 2017

I am struggling with the concept of scaling as the workload increases on a product. 

Should the various teams could all draw different of work from the backlog by taking responsible for a set of components?

Or would a split in features make more sense?

Or is a split in technical layers recommended in this case (despite affecting the autonomy of the team)?

08:43 pm November 10, 2017

Why do you believe the teams need to be split by technical layer specialization, or component/feature specialization?   Read up on scaling strategies like SAFe or LeSS to learn how multiple teams can work on one product.

09:29 pm November 10, 2017

Should the various teams could all draw different of work from the backlog by taking responsible for a set of components?
Or would a split in features make more sense?
Or is a split in technical layers recommended in this case (despite affecting the autonomy of the team)?

Where is the business value found? In having feature complete increments available, or in providing components or layers?

Wherever it is, each team should be able to provide value in those terms. They should also seek to minimize the dependencies between them, so each team can proceed without impediment and meet its goals.

07:53 pm November 11, 2017

The more features have dependencies, the more this will show up in the Nexus Daily Scrum. At least that is my experience. I wouldn't be afraid to break up feature sets if you can't find the dependencies at the beginning. It all comes out in the wash, so to speak. Don't be afraid to use the Nexus to figure it out.

01:58 pm November 13, 2017

My questions was actually in context of the PSPO1 examination that I am preparing for. So far I have found the following frameworks for scaling: Less, SAFe and Nexus. Then I read this article https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/5533/method-wars-scrum-vs-safe… scaling framework is applicable for Scrum.org PSPO1 exam? Or should I understand and memorise all three?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.