Skip to main content

Understanding issues concerning the definition of Sprint goal

Last post 11:01 pm December 4, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
01:38 pm December 4, 2017

Hallo dear scrum team and community,

During the reading of The Scrum Guide (Nov. 2017) I came across the sentence that makes me a little bit wondering (page 11; first sentence of section Sprint Goal):

The Sprint Goal is an objective set for the Sprint that can be met through the implementation of Product Backlog.”

According to my impression it would make more sense to have here “implementation of Sprint Backlog” or for the case this is not defined yet “implementation of Product Backlog Items”.

I personally assume there is just the word "Items" missing. I assume the authors just want to assure that the Sprint Goal is a part of the Product Backlog. Am I right or is there something I got wrong here?

Thanks for clarification! Hans-Henning.

11:01 pm December 4, 2017

Remember that a Product Backlog doesn't just consist of items, it also has organizational mechanisms which are expressed through decomposition and ordering. A Sprint Goal may relate to those organizational constructs as well as the individual PBIs.

A Product Owner can structure the Product Backlog in any way they like, including in terms of Sprint Goal candidates such as Minimum Viable Products or other features which could make the work of certain future Sprints coherent. The quality of this structuring should be improved during Product Backlog refinement. A useful and achievable Sprint Goal may then be agreed and committed to by team members during each Sprint Planning session.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.